Thread: Is this a proper battery?

Is this a proper battery?

0-1.jpeg
    0.jpg
    Recently bought this uly and I wonder if this is an ok battery and does this look ok under the seat?
    I wonder about the ecm tucked down between the battery and the fuse box.

What does yours look like?
    Last edited by The Bob; 03-15-2019 at 12:53 PM.

The first thing you should be doing is, take all the grounds off, clean them then reinstall with a good anti-corrosive, this includes the battery and don't forget the one on the front behind the headlight housing. If your not having any issues with the battery it should be o.k., make sure to put it on a battery saver after each use. These bikes don't like short runs since it takes a lot out of the battery to start them. Most of us use the Big Crank batteries, they're made by Deka in PA.

I would also change the fluids, engine oil, primary oil, brake fluid, which is pretty easy to do. Definitely check the front and rear bearings, if you can get the wheels off the ground d and spin the wheels, make sure they spin smooth with no grinding noise.

I am not perfectly sure. But it looks like it is a Yuasa YTX14H-BS. If so, it is an AGM battery which is "OK".
    The best battery we can use on our Buell XB is the stock battery.
    HD ref is : HD 65948-00, 65948-00A, 65948-00B et 65948-00C
    But it is a rebranded DEKA battery. DEKA's ref is ETX14
    I think you can also use an SVR battery, ref SVR14. <= not so sure about this one !

Anyways, if you want to change, take the DEKA to be sure ! (or the HD but it is exactly the same at double the price )

edit : I did not know about the "big Crank" battery. Seams to be the ssame as the HD and DEKA one !

Thanks to you both. I'm in conversations with Mr. Lunatic Fringe. Under his tutelage, I've performed those recommended procedures (but not the wheel spinning yet).

I just wondered about the positioning of the ECM. There have been suggestions to check the clearance between the bottom of the seat and the ECM. And I see a couple threaded holes next to the battery. What were they for?
    Last edited by The Bob; 03-15-2019 at 03:04 PM.

Inactive
    your pic.....yellow circle is factory ECM mounting point........red circle NOT used on ulysses.

0-1.jpeg

Battery looks fine. Put some modeling clay (Play-Doh) on the top of the ECM connectors and go for a ride.

Take off the seat and see if the clay is mashed into the connectors. Some Uly/low seat combos hit that so hard it physically cracks the ECM. You can mount it differently if thats an issue.

I see a little place that is polished on the bottom of the seat but it isn't over any existing part below.

I took some chalk and applied it to the wires of the ECM, then put the seat on and go for a ride, when you get back, take the seat off and see if there are any chalk marks on the underside of the seat, easy smeezy !

That's a good one - to use chalk. I'll be a couple weeks on this determination. I'm in the process of a number of things.

All this makes one really like the Buell. We can take care of almost anything with the bike.