Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Trading down - XB12X to XB9

Trading down - XB12X to XB9

Lately, in the Georgia heat, I've been thinking about selling the XB12X or trading down to a XB9 model. Ideally the City X or similar, although a Firebolt does sound fun.

The Uly is in many ways my "ideal" motorcycle. I like that it is adventure oriented, has a comfortable seating position, looks like something out of Mad Max, and has a comfortable upright seating position. However, it is hot. Once the ambient temps are above 70, I find my legs and butt sweating way more than on other bikes. I can feel the heat radiating through the seat after about 20 minutes of around town riding. It's also fairly large for me. I'm 5'11" and 175 lbs. I can navigate it fine around a parking lot, but it is a handful sometimes. My little townhome has a one car garage and a one car-sized driveway, which makes exiting the garage when my wife's car is in the driveway a bit inconvenient. My little CB500X commuter bike has very little issues in these regards, but it's obviously not competitive at all in power, handling, style, or character.

So, I've found myself thinking more and more about swapping out the Uly for an XB9 that is smaller, maybe a little lighter or lower, and less hot between the knees. The City X seems like the bike that would suit my needs and fill these criteria. I'm not a speed demon, as I rarely, if ever, even hit 90mph. I enjoy the torque and handing of the Uly, but I don't think the reduced power of the XB9 will really limit my enjoyment since I don't use it all. I also feel that the City X really fits the riding I ACTUALLY do more than the Uly. I dream of adventure riding, touring, camping, etc, but what I actually do is commute, with the occasional jaunt through the mountains. I haven't ruled out finding a Rotax powered Buell, either, but I feel that they make more power than I really would ever make use of, and a good condition example in my price range ($4000) would likely be harder to come by than an XB9.

So what advice do you all have? Will I regret getting rid of the Ulysses if I really do like riding it? What are your experiences on other Buell XB models?

In my collection are a pair of XB9-SX Cherry Bombs. A 2007 and 2009. Both were purchased almost new with a few hundred accrued miles on each at time of purchase. They have been and continue to be wonderful, reliable, pleasant bikes with a particular personality, exhaust note, riding experience and appearance that I find addictive. Other than a Hawkins muffler and simple ECM re-map...I have kept them bone-stock. As delivered, both had the OEM CityX surfboard style seat which I found annoying and uncomfortable. Switched both to the OEM scooped S-style stock seat which works fine in 25 mile maximum increments. Buy one. Most were horribly abused so try and find a low mileage creampuff, if possible.

cherry2.jpg
    my 2007 SX.jpg

Thanks, Barrett. I hope I can find one in decent condition. What do you think about the City X compared to something like the XB9R Firebolt? Is it that different of a riding experience?

On a Firebolt the bars are significantly lower and narrower, and you're stuck with that position for the most part. If you want a 9, I'd say to get a Lightning. I notice a significant difference when swapping out the stock Lightning handlebars to a Renthal Low bar (my go-to bar), so the difference between a Firebolt and a Uly is going to be drastically different.

Weight-wise, the 9 and 12 are pretty much the same, however the Firebolt should weigh less than the Uglysses, just because there is much less motorcycle on the Firebolt.

The thing I noticed with in owning a 9 and a 12, is that the 9 is more 'revvy' feels a bit more "spunky", as it revs a little higher. If you're dead set on a 9, I'd recommend getting a 08-10 with the better crank, and oiling system. They're also a little easier to manage when it comes to TB seals due to the wider flanges on the late heads.

From what you've described about yourself, I'd think the Uly fits your persona more than a Firebolt.

Thank you. 34nineteen. I agree. I think the Uly fits what I desire out of a motorcycle, the City X fits what I most realistically need, and the Firebolt fits what I'm able to find a deal on locally.

I really appreciate the advice about the crank on the 08-10 models. The '07 XB9R I found locally looks like it is in amazing shape for it's age and has been owned by the current owner since '09 and kept all stock with 10k miles on the clock.

firebolt1.jpg

firebolt2.jpg

The price is $3900. I was thinking about trying out the Firebolt and seeing if it jives with me or not, but your words make me think I'll be less happy with it. Are the XB9s really any cooler than the XB12s? If not, I think I'll likely stick with the Uly until I find a City X in good condition at a similar price point.
    Last edited by c3powil; 06-05-2023 at 04:29 PM.

I said this a millionty times but, none of the XB-X/S/Scg will be different heat-wise That gap in the seat that heats your thigh is the exhaust for the cooling fan and engine cooling airflow so don't block it off! It's really where your leg sits on top of that vent that matters, so higher or lower pegs and/or a different seat changes where your thigh is in relation to that vent. A little makes a big difference, as does a good set of riding jeans.

The Firebolts are great! Small and nimble, but tall in the saddle like your X is, and a much more aggressive lean-forward sitting position. You'll probably get used to their "tiller-steering" but if you want one, get one

The difference between a 9 and a 12 is hardly noticeable in regular riding IMO. They are even rated the same 103 HP! The 9 revs higher and a little faster with slightly less than the avalanche of torque down low that the 12 has. It's definitely not a "down grade" and either are still massively fun at any speed.

IMO, you are a little too tall for an Scg, so a City-X or a regular S are the right size for you for sure To Barretts good point, theres lots of seat options for the regular frame bikes, and I don't like the really narrow bars on the City-X either but they are both a super easy swap. The Renthal ultra lows that 34:19 mentioned are perfect for me too. IMO, you'd be fine on an Ss as well, same frame size as your Uly, but lower suspension (most years) and lower scooped seat too.

I agree with 34:19 that the '08-up bikes are better in a few ways (oiling, crank, ECM), but budget rules all, and I have no issue flogging any of them regardless of year. It's not remotely even common to break a crank. I am also not concerned with mileage on a Buell.

Rant: Mileage is supposed to be an indicator of wear right? Thats why the 'value' supposedly goes up for a low milage thing. Dumb.

Buells don't need hardly any maintenance (compared to most bikes), so even a partially maintained Buell that was used 2000+miles/year is probably gonna treat you well.
    Definitely better than any poor suffering garage art thats been languishing on a tender, rubber seals and hoses rotting away, rusted cylinder walls, acids in the oil pitting all the bearings That 15 year old 9000-mile 'cream-puff', will need every rubber hose, and seal, replaced at a minimum. The odometer doesn't show repeated cold starts that have worn the rings, and stressed the stator and VR. Even if the gas is good now, it's had many years of old crap in the tank soaking into the fuel pump and clogging injectors too. Be prepared for all that when someone sells a bike they lost interest in, and pressing it into daily service!

I have an 1125CR for sale

I didn't mean that as a personal shot John, hope you didn't take it that way. Your stuff is plenty nice and an exception to my comments.

OP: Opinions vary. Ultimately, only you know whats best for you

Thanks Cooter and Barrett for both of your comments. Cooter, I understand your warning about low mileage bikes. Mileage doesn't tell the whole story, and a low mileage cosmetically perfect motorcycle doesn't necessarily ensure mechanical worthiness. I think anyone on the forum for more than a few posts can see Barrett's mechanical knowledge and should understand that your warning need not apply in his case.

I do enjoy the conflicting opinions on how the XB9R rides. Something like that is quite subjective. I've never ridden a "real" sport bike before, so I am inclined to believe it might be more uncomfortable than comfortable. Still, I admit I am intrigued to try something new, away from my comfort zone of standard seating. Maybe it would be a nice compliment to my CB500X, as an opposite riding style, rather than the Uly which is quite similar but more of everything.

I'm going to try and stick with the Uly for now and change my seating position, keeping my legs back from the seat gap. It's not hard. They Uly is a great bike and I love riding it. It's just those few niggles that make me think the grass might be greener.
    Last edited by c3powil; 06-05-2023 at 09:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Barrett View Post
    I'm 6ft, devilishly handsome and hover between 188 and 195 lbs.
    Fixed it for you.

That is a nice looking Firebolt. Probably not a bad deal for $3900. Smoking deal if you can fineagle it to $3500.

Sometimes you just gotta go for it to get your answer!

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast