Thread: 07 Firebolt XB12R - Dropped a cylinder during recent ride?

07 Firebolt XB12R - Dropped a cylinder during recent ride?

Had my first date night with my wife on the Buell and seemed to drop a cylinder (lost power, sounded like single cylinder, etc.) after 30ish miles (mostly interstate and a little stop and go) and dinner :-( The cylinder came back to life 20ish miles on the way back. Ran good on one test ride since. Decided to throw a little money at the problem and ordered a new coil ($50). Maybe an injector though? Ran a quick test with the Buelltooth and could hear clicking from all four devices. Leaving my wife behind is not an option ;-) Thoughts?
    Last edited by ccarter591; 03-20-2019 at 10:52 AM.

Could be anything, but I would start with new spark plug wires and plugs. When was the last time you replaced them? Bike is 12 years old and i would start their as they are cheap enough to replace.

How many miles on the bike ? what mods have been done ? Have you checked your sensors ? Did you remove and check the spark plugs ?
    Your throwing money at the unknown problem or problems.

While you’re replacing the plugs inspect your wiring, especially around the rear cylinder. The engine head temp sensor is known to chafe and sometimes renders that sensor useless.

Also, when running your tests, did the fan work as it should? If your fan isn’t working properly and the engine gets too hot the bike will cut the rear cylinder.

Those are my thoughts...
    If I’m wrong on any of this I’m sure someone will correct me.

Also, very rare for a coil to crap out.
    Don’t throw anymore parts at it until you’ve done some more inspecting/trouble shooting

Good luck

Was thinking of the head temp sensor also as chickn said. Should be able to watch its readings on ecmspy or ECM droid right? Plugs and wires like everyone else said are the obvious and cheap culprits. Along with mean clean grounds, tight battery connections, and a fully charged battery.

Sorry for slow response RCHUFF. Been wrapped up in a maintenance overhaul at work. I replaced the plugs/wires ~1k miles ago with OEM stuff and gapped plugs to what was in the manual.
    Last edited by ccarter591; 03-25-2019 at 12:15 PM.

Thanks for the help NJLOCO! Got 11k miles with no mods except running race map (open loop, 105% AVF, hoping to run cooler here in FL). See above response for plugs/wires.
    Last edited by ccarter591; 03-25-2019 at 12:51 PM.

Thanks for the help CHICKNSTRIPN and BUELLYBAGGER! Think ya'll are on to something with the ET sensor. The fan works great in both speeds, however the event happened on a cool (70ish deg F, cool for FL) afternoon and I could hear the fan running in high speed which seemed odd. I hear you on the coil and may just shelf it for now. I'll perform surgery soon as work allows and see if I find a rub.

Last edited by ccarter591; 03-25-2019 at 12:45 PM.