Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What did you do with your Ulysses today?

Quote Originally Posted by The Bob View Post
    I just finished swapping to a Bulltooth XB-SG slip-on and fussed with the tune. I guess it will need a little tweaking. It seems to run and idle just fine. Short ride was very satisfying.
    👍

Then the headlight - low and high beams - quit. This Uly has had the ECM turned over and stuffed down between the fuse/relay box and the battery. I pulled all of the relays and rotated them and the lights work now. I don't think it was a relay, I think it was something about messing with electrical boxes.

Getting a few more miles on her, I find that I really like many things. She handles REALLY well. I'm coming from a Ducati ST4s and that bike handles well but I'm more confident on my Uly. I'm thinking I do like the Uly better.

Check your headlight connector. It's located under the front windscreen area, near the headstock of the bike. The headlight connector has been know to fry the ground connection going to it and therefore causes the lights to die.
    Just suggesting you take a look. It's likely the culprit.

"The headlight connector has been know to fry the ground connection"

I've had a look there but it wouldn't hurt to look again. Thanks.

Inactive
    I pulled all of the relays and rotated them and the lights work now.

bob: carlos is correct as usual about the headlight wiring harness plug.
    the "start" relay on your ulysses handles alot of circuits including headlight and signal source to starter. it is multi-phase meaning it momentarily shuts down power to the headlight circuit during "start" mode. when you swapped them around you either identified a faulty start relay or interrupted corrosion on the start relay female plugs within the fuse box. squirt them with a light amount of penetrant, soak, work the relay in and out a few times...then see what you have.

I had cleaned up all the relay pins when I rotated the relays. While on the subject I took the flyscreen/fairing off th get access to the headlight which was aimed way too high. While I was in there I found a bad crimp on two ground wires. I had to tug on those pretty hard and it caused the exact symptom. Fixed that and aimed the headlight. Did a TPS reset and took a nice ride to St. Michaels in "learning mode". So now it runs and idles really well. I'm sure glad I found you guys.
    Last edited by The Bob; 04-15-2019 at 12:15 AM.

Excellent work man!
    Love hearing about a Bueller actually listening to advice and solving problems on their own.
    Great job!

Did a 270 mile loop, Pacific Coast, Redwoods, and great curvy roads. I got a photo too.

100 (Medium).jpeg

Ah! Wish I could have been there! I've been so damn busy with the spring projects around the house, I haven't had a chance to ride. I did make it down the Laughlin River Run though.. good times.

First offroad on some fireroads. I'm impressed. Buell KY Camp.jpg

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast