Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: What Year Lightning Should I be Looking at to Purchase?

Go ahead, rub it in !

Silver, I knew you'd come up with a picture of a monkey doing it to a football

So,

I used to be a Buell owner a LOOONG time ago around 2009-2010. It was a real dark day when Erik posted the video about Buell Motorcycles shutting down. Back then I rode a 2004 XB12S in Japan while I was stationed there. Loved the contrast of an American sportbike powered by an archaic motor in Japan!

Anyway, I've caught the bike bug again and I saw this thread.

I want to get another 2004 XB12S - the really uncompromising wheelbase and steering angle appeals to me as Erik modeled the specs after a GP250 bike. I've never ridden another Buell, so I have no idea how the other XB12 (SS, Scg, etc) bikes compare. Anyone care to weigh in on SS vs S as far as riding experience goes? Most of my riding would be a short commute to work and quick de-stress rides. Omaha doesn't have much for twisty roads.

I looked at a Ducati Streetfighter or Diavel, but the expense is more than I'm willing to put up with. I've always loved the Buell quirkyness, especially the air cooled Buells.

As a good second pick, that is if you can't find your 04 Buell, XSR900 Yamaha !

All the S (and R) frame Buells have identical rake/trail and wheelbase. Scg's will be a minuscule shorter because it's lower on the same rake. Your in-seam will dictate what you should buy.

A Ss or STT is on a long frame/ swingarm like a ULY. I doubt anyone besides a pro racer could tell the difference in handling, but it's nice to stretch out if you're a taller person.

Yes all true but, doesn't the SS have a shorter turning stop ? It seems like it compared to my Ully !

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234