Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What Year Lightning Should I be Looking at to Purchase?

In these days, is there something wrong with a monkey doing it to a foot ball ?

Quote Originally Posted by lunaticfringe View Post
    however being 6'7" 260 lbs with a 38 pant length I have heard that the Xb12S/SS would be the best option based on my research.

NO Buell XB model will fit you. even by Ulysses standards these are small bikes. you'll look like a monkey f#cking a football riding one....unhappy as hell...and then be back on here bitching about how uncomfortable you are and what a mistake the purchase was.
    Not sure about size comparison to GSXR600 but if I felt fine on that I'm sure I'd feel fine on an XB.

After looking up dimensions the XB12S is longer, wider and taller than my previous bike so I don't have concerns with comfort. As far as how I "look" I don't do things for other people or their perceptions, I do them for my own pleasure.

Quote Originally Posted by njloco View Post
    In these days, is there something wrong with a monkey doing it to a foot ball ?
    Monkey20****ing20a20Football.jpg

cap1: If you're comfortable on a 600 Gixxer, you'll be OK on an SS. Keep in mind the frame on these Buell's gets really wide in front of your knees. At 38" inseam you knees will be where the frame pucks are on an S.

I'm 6'3" and 300# after a diet. I ride a 2004 XB-12S and am comfortable on it, particularly around town. I also ride a Suzuki Bandit 1200S and a Suzuki DR650. The Bandit has a similar riding position and the DR is spread out. I do look like a gorilla trying to hump a football, but I truly don't have anything to give. I'm all out of F@#K's or S*&t's, and I haven't even back ordered them.

With that said, if I had the option, I would look into the longer framed bike if possible. I'd also buy the newest one possible, but condition trumps age. I'd love to have an STT model, as I love the way the look. But I'll roll with what I got. A clean, well kept bike is what you are looking for. Also consider spending a tad more to get exactly what you wanted.

When I bought mine (2004 XB-12S), It was listed for $3000 back in 2014. I was able to trade about some firearms (which I has $1200 into) and $1200 cash for it. So it was a no brainer for me. But there was a 2008 XB-12STT for $3500 that I passed on as it would be all cash out of pocket. In hind sight, I should have bought the STT and sold my firearms to make up the difference. I thought the XB would be a short term fling and I would sell it in a year or two, so I wanted the one that made the most money sense. Now I love my Buell and have kept it as long as any other bike I have ever had.

The bike has been as reliable as anything else I have owned. It has required less maintenance than most. No valve lash clearance to check and no chain to adjust every so often. Just change the oil and inspect the bike.

Before the Buell, it has always been Japanese bikes (Honda VFR & CBR1100xx, Yamaha FZ-1, etc). So I'm used to reliability and easy maintenance. When I bought my Buell it was cheap, but abused (had been low sided on both sides). So once I got that fixed up (replaced swing arm), it has been reliable ever since. I did replace the fuel pump (although a rebuild would have done it) at 35,000 miles, a head light 'S' shaped mounting bracket ($12 part that cost $15 to ship), a rear brake switch, and fixed a pinched headlight wire. Very minor things that I have done on bikes in the past. In fact, I have spent less time on repair & maintenance than on any bike before.

Quote Originally Posted by yellowcarbon View Post

Honda VFR & CBR1100xx,.
    Both droolworthy bikes. I'd always wanted a Super Blackbird.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    cap1: If you're comfortable on a 600 Gixxer, you'll be OK on an SS. Keep in mind the frame on these Buell's gets really wide in front of your knees. At 38" inseam you knees will be where the frame pucks are on an S.
    For reference: At 5'10 and 32" inseam, my knees would hit just behind the pucks.

The STT model used a "1up only" seat that will probably give you more seating wiggle room. Also, the STT's sat a bit taller on their suspension than the SS (especially the earlier ones). This comes in handy when looking a dropped pegs.

And pics or it didnt happen! Welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by 34nineteen View Post
    And pics or it didnt happen! Welcome!
    I only have a crappy video because my buddy sucks at recording https://www.instagram.com/p/7yYwlSPg...=1v7anq6j12obr

Tall people have so many issues!!!

5'5" 29" inseam, perfect fit on an XB

Jack-O-Lantern
    2006 Buell XBRS LightningBolt
    http://www.buellxb.com/forum/album.php?albumid=129

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast