Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What Year Lightning Should I be Looking at to Purchase?

Quote Originally Posted by lunaticfringe View Post
    i'm trading in a late 2009 Cherry Bomb CityX with 2000 original miles on it sometime next month. flawless original condition and a real SX and real Cherry Bomb model. looks exactly like one i have now. original owner can't find the hand guards but is looking. i'm in southern PA so probably too far away. shipping would be expensive.

Attachment 11374
    If I'm not mistaken that's a XB9 right? I'm looking for an XB12.

Quote Originally Posted by cap1 View Post
    If I'm not mistaken that's a XB9 right? I'm looking for an XB12.
    Towards the end, there was an XB12SX. I dont know if it was 2009 or 2010 when it was around. You said you were looking for an XB12SS. To me the longer wheelbase of a SS (or Uly or STT) is much more of a preference (to me) over the shorter wheelbase models. Having owned both, I probably wont own a short wheelbase one again. Nothing wrong with the short wheelbase XB's , I just prefer the longer wheelbase and slacker HTA of the "Long" bikes. I'd rather own a XB9SS (they didnt make one) or an XB12S anyday. I still regret selling my 06 XB12SS.

Speaking of faster isn't always more fun. A LOT of people who have owned and ridden both bikes will say the 9 is more fun than the 12... myself included. I generally dont ride fast or even aggressively... just for some people the "lack of power" and smoothness compared to a non-Harley bike is a bit of a culture shock for someone who is used to Asian or Euro bikes. Don't get me wrong, I love my Buells, but there are reasons why the "other guys" tended to out sell them. As far as sounding great, a Buell with an aftermarket pipe sounds great, but so does an aircooled Duc with Termis.

Here is a breakdown of the model years I found doing a search on here:

Pre '08 = Original ECM's & Oil Pump Gear
    '08 - Later = Newer "Learning" ECM's & upgraded Oil Pump Gear.
    (Some '07s will be included in the "Post '08" category. And the "Learning" ECM's will generally only compensate for either an upgraded intake OR exhaust. They have trouble with both and may require a custom map just like the earlier years.)

2009 = ZTL2 8 Piston Front Brake (XB12 Models)

2010 - Current =
    - Fuel pump & fuel pressure sensor similar to the 1125's.
    - Front & Rear New style LED turn signal.
    - 30mm rear wheel bearings
    - 3 bearings and dust seals. (One bearing on brake side and two bearings on sprocket side.)
    - New tools are required to remove and install the new bearings.
    - Axle & Wheel hub changes due to the new bearings
    - Front Cylinder O2 sensor has been added.
    - Wire harness changes. (Addition of fuel pressure sensor wire and front O2 sensor wire.)
    - For XB12R models, the rear sub-harness is now part of the main harness.
    - Fuel pump break-out location change
    - JST Connectors on tail light & license plate light.(XB12R ONLY)
    - Updated oil check procedure
    - New Fan logic driven by speed and temperature
    - Battery tender connector built into harness

Some of the guys who have ridden both the ZTL and ZTL2 brakes swear by the ZTL2. I've only ridden the ZTL (ok, I had a ZTL2 on my 1125CR) and its always done great for spirited street riding.

IMO, the 3 bearing rear wheel is probably the best reason to choose a 2010 model. However, this can be retrofitted to an earlier bike if you really want to.

My $0.02. Hope this helps.

I picked up a 2008 XT, if I could I would go with a 2009/2010 XB12SS. The blacked out frame/engine/forks have me! The 2008+ machines in my humble opinion are worth the extra time to search out. DDFI3, better oiling make it a little more - gas and ride - friendly.
    Now the rawness of the tubber is also da sh!t.
    And the 1125.... just get one of each!!!
    Last edited by pdksh; 03-28-2019 at 05:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pdksh View Post
    I picked up a 2008 XT, if I could I would go with a 2009/2010 XB12SS. The blacked out frame/engine/forks have me! The 2008+ machines in my humble opinion are worth the extra time to search out. DDFI3, better oiling make it a little more - gas and ride - friendly.
    On my 2006 SS, I had the forks and seat rails powdercoated black (along with the wheels and other bits). I think the gray frame and swing arm looked nice to help contrast all the black on the bike. I wished I had done the cam cover.

IMG_5609.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by 34nineteen View Post
    Towards the end, there was an XB12SX. I dont know if it was 2009 or 2010 when it was around. You said you were looking for an XB12SS. To me the longer wheelbase of a SS (or Uly or STT) is much more of a preference (to me) over the shorter wheelbase models. Having owned both, I probably wont own a short wheelbase one again. Nothing wrong with the short wheelbase XB's , I just prefer the longer wheelbase and slacker HTA of the "Long" bikes. I'd rather own a XB9SS (they didnt make one) or an XB12S anyday. I still regret selling my 06 XB12SS.

Speaking of faster isn't always more fun. A LOT of people who have owned and ridden both bikes will say the 9 is more fun than the 12... myself included. I generally dont ride fast or even aggressively... just for some people the "lack of power" and smoothness compared to a non-Harley bike is a bit of a culture shock for someone who is used to Asian or Euro bikes. Don't get me wrong, I love my Buells, but there are reasons why the "other guys" tended to out sell them. As far as sounding great, a Buell with an aftermarket pipe sounds great, but so does an aircooled Duc with Termis.
    I did consider the XB9 as well, however being 6'7" 260 lbs with a 38 pant length I have heard that the Xb12S/SS would be the best option based on my research. And I agree a Duc with Termis sounds great but that doesn't negate the lack of reliability so in order for me to purchase one it would have to be a steal.

Quote Originally Posted by pdksh View Post
    The black parts is definitely the reason why I really want the 2009/10

At your size an SS or an SST would be a better choice. Lowkey on here is selling his amazing STT. It’s not the lowest price in the world, but it’s a well maintained and tastefully modded bike. Well worth the asking price and he’s always willing to help out a fellow Bueller... esp with ecm tuning.

Quote Originally Posted by 34nineteen View Post
    At your size an SS or an SST would be a better choice. Lowkey on here is selling his amazing STT. It’s not the lowest price in the world, but it’s a well maintained and tastefully modded bike. Well worth the asking price and he’s always willing to help out a fellow Bueller... esp with ecm tuning.
    What's the difference between the STT and the S/SS, that's the only model I dont know anything about.

STT is for a single rider, it will go off road, it has a little less fork travel than the Ully does.
    The S is basically an SS but shorter from axle to axle.
    At your height I doubt that you will have any problem with seat height, you might have to get the drop down foot pegs for comfort.

I have a 36" inseam and an STT modded to look like an SS (inexpensive body parts). It's tall for very comfortable suspension travel and fire roads if you want to, but still super quick on the street in the corners. I still put on 1" drop pegs, and could not be happier.

Any of the seats are interchangeable between SS and STT if you want to change it up.
    R means Firebolt
    Scg means "very low" with the standard length frame.
    S is the standard height, standard length.
    SS is standard height and longer frame/swingarm (with the bigger fuel capacity the longer frame gives)
    STT is taller than an SS with the same long frame/swingarm
    Ulys are even taller than that, and the longer frame too, among many other things.

Pick the right height and frame length for your size, then its easy to make a Buell XB whatever you want it to be

Quote Originally Posted by njloco View Post
    STT is for a single rider, it will go off road, it has a little less fork travel than the Ully does.
    The S is basically an SS but shorter from axle to axle.
    At your height I doubt that you will have any problem with seat height, you might have to get the drop down foot pegs for comfort.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    I have a 36" inseam and an STT modded to look like an SS (inexpensive body parts). It's tall for very comfortable suspension travel and fire roads if you want to, but still super quick on the street in the corners. I still put on 1" drop pegs, and could not be happier.

Any of the seats are interchangeable between SS and STT if you want to change it up.
    R means Firebolt
    Scg means "very low" with the standard length frame.
    S is the standard height, standard length.
    SS is standard height and longer frame/swingarm (with the bigger fuel capacity the longer frame gives)
    STT is taller than an SS with the same long frame/swingarm
    Ulys are even taller than that, and the longer frame too, among many other things.

Pick the right height and frame length for your size, then its easy to make a Buell XB whatever you want it to be

Thanks guys, I think I still want an S/SS

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast