So I turned the big 5-0 this year, and what present does my wife pull out of her bag of tricks, but to find me a classic AFX original Slot car, that I may have mentioned in passing and a somewhat busted up 1971 AFX track.

Wow, talk about a flash from the past!

I am in I.T. and I used to really love video gaming, but lately it's just regurgitating the same crap over and over and over again, and finding ways to force the player to spend ridiculous money on season passes and other add-ons.

As such, this has been a total refresh of my indoor fun factor. Kids today just have no clue how freaking cool this stuff is. You have to maintain both the track and cars so it's like being a mechanic for a mini car world.

On to the Madness

So my wife found and bought me a Chevy Cheetah [Which is one of the most awesome and ridiculous real cars ever made]
and I proceeded to match it with a Ferrari Dino
She also bought a Jackie Stewart 1971 AFX Track.

These are what are called pancake cars, as they have 3 gears on the top of the chassis that are attached to the armature [electric motor] which in turn spin the rear differential.

And here are my 2 awesome ones.

I was able to modify the track and add some pieces to fill in this raised space I have in my home office.
[Yes I still have almost every stuffed animal I ever received as a kid, whatever!! lol ]

and after sourcing some parts to fix what was not working, here we go.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cNW0ruOcI4

So this success prompted me to start to rebuild a larger track similar to what I had as a kid. When I first moved to PA, unfortunately all of my track and cars were lost in the shuffle.
It's quite a shame as I had some great stuff.

I have a foosball table in our finished basement, so I figured I could use that as a table. I got a 4' x 8' piece of plywood. Reinforced it with the 2" x 3" wood and added pieces to prevent it from being knocked off the foosball table as well as being able to lift and move it if needed.

The result is 62' of track with the most recent MegaG AFX cars on the Tomy AFC track called the Giant Raceway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYFryZsXgwE

Since I know I am kind of the average age here, how many of you used to have slot cars, and/or still do.
BTW, Ebay is an amazing source for everything you need for this