Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Preventive Measures for the Heat HI STARK!

Chicken, I literally bolted on the late model oil cooler/bracket/scoop to my '06 Ss. I can't remember anything being difficult about it? Get new clips. They stretch when removed and won't hold against the flare on the line as well, you sure don't want those lines to fall out

I also did zero testing or temp datalogging before/after Wish I did. In hind sight, I think I'd just run an even bigger aftermarket cooler if I lived in such a hot place again. The difference between the two OE coolers seems really minor side by side.

For 4 bucks, I got some different versions of these:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-24V-LED...cAAOSw04ZcfJ6T

I meant to mount it in the stock cluster and monitor voltage and oil cooler output temp. Never got around to it... and now I just "Live Data" from ECMDroid oil my phone. New tech! Haha.

Anybody want one? I'll ship it to you

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    Chicken, I literally bolted on the late model oil cooler/bracket/scoop to my '06 Ss. I can't remember anything being difficult about it? Get new clips. They stretch when removed and won't hold against the flare on the line as well, you sure don't want those lines to fall out

I also did zero testing or temp datalogging before/after Wish I did. In hind sight, I think I'd just run an even bigger aftermarket cooler if I lived in such a hot place again. The difference between the two OE coolers seems really minor side by side.

For 4 bucks, I got some different versions of these:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-24V-LED...cAAOSw04ZcfJ6T

I meant to mount it in the stock cluster and monitor voltage and oil cooler output temp. Never got around to it... and now I just "Live Data" from ECMDroid oil my phone. New tech! Haha.

Anybody want one? I'll ship it to you
    Ok.
    Sounds like upgrading the oil lines is the key to a simple swap. That’s the part I was missing. The last thread I saw on someone doing the swap they went through A LOT of trouble to use the original lines. Due to that I didn’t even consider the possibility of changing the lines.
    Or maybe the thread I researched was of a totally different aftermarket oil cooler. I’ll have to do some more research but thanks for clearing this up.

Good to know!

Here’s the post that added to my misinformation:
    https://www.buellxb.com/forum/showth...row-oil-cooler
    Last edited by Chicknstripn; 04-06-2019 at 06:51 PM.

Sorry, yes new lines and sexy!

EricZ's bike is so badass. Someday I hope to be as cool as he is
    Last edited by Cooter; 04-06-2019 at 10:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    Interesting 34:19, What year is yours again? Not that it matters in the overheating discussion but makes me curious.
    I'll look for that logic when I check for the max allowable temp

Knowledge is Powa!

I could have swore all of them did 04–07. I know for certain my 06 Ss did.

In the 2008 electrical diagnostics book on page 2-104, it calls out dtc’s for “fan control circuit high” and “fan control circuit low”. The fan appears to be a single speed fan as it only has 2 wires. Maybe the ECM controls how much voltage it gets to regulate its speed? Maybe it limits voltage for low? (6v low / 12v high)?

You’re smart and handsome, I know you’ll figure it out.
    Last edited by 34nineteen; 04-07-2019 at 02:18 AM.

I tried the 2 stroke oil trick on my bike as well. I didn’t notice a difference, however Cooter did mention that I may have been running too much. That may have caused a slight lean problem that offset any cooling benefit I was after.

Where is Gloomshadow anyways?

So anyhow, back to the OP (sorry, i’m bad for thread hi jacking)

I get why you want to run a manual fan switch. I used to run one back in the day on my YZF’s and GSXR’s and on those bikes it worked great when traffic slowed to a crawl or standstill on a hot summer day. It was always kinda spooky watching the temp gauge creep into the red, praying the fan would kick on.

An XB really doesn’t benefit from it, plus it only pulls air across the rear cylinder. If you have to do it, download a service book and look for the wire coming from the ecm to the rear cylinder head temp sensor. Grounding that wire turns on the fan. Let us know how that works for you, as you’re probably the only one doing it on an XB.

PS. XB’s don’t have temp gauges.

Sorry for my late reply and i appreciate everyones input. I agree with the fan switch being pointless option, id rather my wife tell me when she hungry rather than guess lol...same goes for my bike and when it wants cooled down. Im currently looking for the RSS and im a little confused. Ive looked on eCrap for a used one and all that pops up (and they describe it as a air scoop) is cowling that i already have. I wouldnt consider that a scoop more like a engine cover. So my confusion is, does that rss miror the lss? Ive seen the scooos in carbon fiber but im trying to stay away from CF parts. I don't need the whole comfort kit..i have other plans to heat shield my headers..i just want the scoop.

You can get the RSS from the dealer. Yes it looks like the left side.

There is an option for the RSS and the whole 'Comfort kit' for the Uly that includes some shielding on the header.
    https://st-paul-harley-davidson-buel...-/-windscreens

or just the RSS:
    https://st-paul-harley-davidson-buel...-/-windscreens

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12