Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: One week into ownership, I find a crack in the frame - left side engine mounting tab

What would cause that? Was mentioned he lived down a dirt road...

Just from looking at the pics, it doesn't look like a fatigue crack (a crack from repeated cycles). It looks like a crack from an acute event, such as a high-energy impact or pre-loading of the tab during installation.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    FYI the Buell fuel/frame is double walled, so welding a small crack on an external tab like that won't blow it up. Just sayin'.

IMO clean, heli-arc, re-paint. Yes, there are better ways too.

It will probably need to be re-heat treated afterwards, but thats probably out of the question at this point. Hopefully the heli-arc holds on it own... I've just seen many rewelded alloy pieces re-crack right around the repaired area if the heat treat is omitted. However, the stuff I deal with is very thin walled.

Fingers crossed!

Yeah, it's weird, I notices some mild scraping on the left side swingarm spool and clutch lever that looked like maybe a 5mph low side. No damage to engine/stator cover (perhaps was replaced?) Rest of bike looks very good.

After talking to some people I've decided to source a good used frame and take my chances with the California DMV "Statement of Construction" process where I'll make my current title "salvage", build a new bike with a new frame, do a DMV dance and a CHP dance, then another DMV dance, then a final CHP dance and finally I should be able to have a complete, whole, registered bike (though probably with a Salvaged title).
    I wonder what's going to be a bigger PITA, swapping frames or dealing with DMV and CHP.

I'd say dealing with DMV and CHP will be way tougher than doing the frame swap. At least on an XB, its not as difficult as expected.

Quote Originally Posted by 34nineteen View Post
    I'd say dealing with DMV and CHP will be way tougher than doing the frame swap. At least on an XB, its not as difficult as expected.
    You're probably right. I'm friends with this guy who has built many bikes from stacks of parts and dealt with the DMV and CHP and he convinced me to go for it.

I will certainly document both the mechanical and bureaucratic ordeals.

This is the frame I bought:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/FRAME-2009-...6/183539354352
    It's a California VIN and the serial number is like 800 away from mine.

This could be a 10 minute repair job but it sounds like it will be a very long, very expensive, very big nightmare

Hey Jmardy, have you shown the pics to a certified welder? Might be worth asking.
    Last edited by Cooter; 04-09-2019 at 05:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    This could be a 10 minute repair job but it sounds like it will be a very long, very expensive, very big nightmare

Hey Jmardy, have you shown the pics to a certified welder? Might be worth asking.
    Hey Cooter, Yeah, he said he could do it but advised against it so I decided to do the right thing even though the DMV thing is going to be a nightmare.

I am surprised to hear that, looks very simple? But haven't seen it in person so...

Always good to get a second opinion, but you seem committed to dive down that rabbit hole. Seriously good luck. I mean that. I have had a TON of experience at the California DMV with wildly varying outcomes. I would suggest trying to see the same person every single one of the dozen times you'll have to go. Eventually they will tire out and give you what you want

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast