Thread: XB12Ss Forks on Standard 12S

XB12Ss Forks on Standard 12S

I think I already know the answer, but figured I would ask opinions of the Buell experts out there.

First an explanation of my situation. Went out for a ride a few weeks ago and my right/high side fork started leaking fork oil bad. I had replaced the seals 2 years ago with no issues, got bike home and saw grooves in the tube. I weighed my different options and decided I'd just buy a new pair of forks that I found. They arrived today and I pull them out just to make sure they were as described, and took it over to my bike holding it up I realized this new fork is longer... I went back and looked at my invoice/order confirmation and apparently missed the second "s". I know i can simply return them at my own shipping expense, but I am curious if these would work on a standard.

I know they will physically fit, my question is akin to the affects on handling. My thought is to just eat my mistake and return them, unless someone on here needs a set of 09-10 (black) XB12Ss forks and wants to buy them.

I'm no expert but i have been doing some research on the various fork setups in relation to lowering my Uly. The online specs show that the 09-10 SS forks have about 1" more travel than the standard forks. The ground clearance on the 09-10 Ss is about 1" more (IIRC check the specs online) suggesting that the front of your bike would sit about an inch higher unless you get a matching rear shock. One option would be to lower the front by pulling the forks up through the triple clamps (after removing the positioning rings) but then you will still have more suspension travel at the front than at the rear so really not ideal. Overall probably much easier to just replace the seal. and keep cleaning away the brake dust!

Ss forks may 'bolt-on' but they are wrong for an S. You can't slide them up, because they will hit the handlebars. Even trying to match the rear shock (and raise the bike) is a bad idea because the swingarm and shock mounts on an Ss/STT are different as well.

tleighbell is right, they are longer. Bummer, but I would suggest sending them back and getting the right set unless selling them is a better $$ for you.

If you are buying them used, I would highly recommend servicing them no matter the claimed mileage. It will save you $$, time, and trouble

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    Ss forks may 'bolt-on' but they are wrong for an S. You can't slide them up, because they will hit the handlebars. Even trying to match the rear shock (and raise the bike) is a bad idea because the swingarm and shock mounts on an Ss/STT are different as well.

tleighbell is right, they are longer. Bummer, but I would suggest sending them back and getting the right set unless selling them is a better $$ for you.

If you are buying them used, I would highly recommend servicing them no matter the claimed mileage. It will save you $$, time, and trouble
    It may be easier to just return them for the shipping cost. I would need to sell them for $430 to break even. Although they are brand new in box, I only opened one, so I could easily list for that price. But if no one bites them I’m stuck with them.

As for the rebuild I’m worried about the “grooves”. Well you can feel them with a fingernail, but not deep enough that it catches. I had found stanchion/tube replacements but they’re $200 plus seals, bushings and oil so probably about $250. Problem is I don’t know how hard it’ll be to replace the tube and if it’s worth the effort if I can get a new fork for about the same if not maybe only $25 more.