Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: pushing the season

pushing the season

Well, last bike trip I had was the Solar Eclipse trip years ago. Just couldn't get away last Summer at all. Anyway, finally got out there last week for a week.

Take away--heated hand grips on the Uly are priceless, The Aero Stitch Road Crafter full suit is where it is at and do not head over the mountains in the Pacific Northwest until May.

Briefly, I rode 1600 miles starting on the Olympic Peninsula and out into South Central Idaho and return. The Uly never missed a beat, didn't burn any oil, averaged 40mpg @ 75mph. I had my camping gear and made some wonderful meals along the trail.

All told a great run, particularly with some wonderful Idaho hot springs as a destination--good for the health and take the chill out of the bones.

Ran into lots of rain--The Aerostitch kept me warm and dry. East from John Day, OR
    on 26 you get up into high country(5200ft) still 10 feet of snow on the side of the road! Brutal even in mid-day. All along the Snake river basin in Idaho it was high 50's not bad (I-84 is set at 80mph so go 90--everyone else is !)

Some time soaking and De-toxing, and re-toxing and back home. Brutal cold in the Mountains above Pendleton and rain almost all the way home. Nothing 3 big lattes and a good feed of Brisket in Bingem, WA wouldn't fix. Record 525 miles that last day--pretty good on an'09 Uly.

So home and in one piece--what next for adventure?

Opto

Totally useless without pics!

Opto, you have to excuse NJ. He’s the forum voyeur and the main reason it’s now “retro” cool to read an actual book(one without pictures)!
    Great little story. All kidding aside you need to do it justice and write something with a lot of words and a few pics.
    You’re a maniac for heading into the mountains OR ANYWHERE up north this time of year! I’ve had two experiences trying to deal with insane mountain weather. First time I was lucky to be in an SUV, almost took the bike, it was mid May(2012) and I got caught in a blizzard in the Pocono mountains. The second time I was heading to Ithaca NY(on a 2003 VFR800) in early June and although it was over 80 degrees here in NC it was in the lower 40s at night once I got passed WV.
    Always plan for the route and the destination!

Enjoyed reading your post. Nice to hear of someone that hasn’t been regulated to a commuting weekend warrior!
    Glad to hear you made it home safely.

But................., I like pictures, I simply said it before all the others chimed in.
    It is a good story but, I had to strain my eyes to read it all.

Well to tell you the truth I threw it out there just for fun, thought you might enjoy the experience with me. I didn't take many pictures truth be told-- besides I didn't think you guys would be interested in a bunch of naked girls at the hot springs, being gear heads and all.

If I could figure how to get an iPhone pic on to this site I would share a few.

Opto

You are right about cruising in the mountains in early
    spring, Chickn

This trip--well it was cold and rainy, and ambient temp was pretty low even in mid-day. The worst for me was returning from Lubbock, TX about 5 years ago. I woke up in Durango, CO( around 8000 ft or so to full on snow. This was in Mid-May. It was not sticking so I coffeed up and headed to Moab where it was just rain. I hit I-70 at Green river, UT and thought I was home free until I ran into a total white out blizzard. That is the longest stretch of interstate with Zero services. I had two choices--keep driving on the shoulder or die. There is nothing up there so not being dramatic.

There was about 30 miles of that and I looked like the Michelin Man, or a traveling snowman. Finally I reached Clear Creek summit ( 7180 ft ) and headed down into the town of Salina. The snow soon changed into drizzle. I made it into Salina to discover "Mom's Café" which was awesome and saved the day. Fatty Port Chops and lots of coffee if I recall.

That was on a VFR

Hey Opto! Glad you got out from under responsibilities long enough to live the good life! So happy you got a ride in. I know you missed last year and thats a bummer. Keep it up man

Hey that means a lot to me, coming from you, Cooter.

We might cross paths again over the next few months. After this last trip I felt all enthusiastic again. I quite enjoy a more relaxed cruising style, actually slowed down a few notches. Actually, I would like to spend more time in one place and catch a few trout and stuff.

The Sheriff pulled me over in Hagerman, ID but in the end gave me a verbal warning, shook my hand and let me know that I was one of the good guys so you can't beat that. Tough being so cool

Opto

His wife didn't run the hot springs we were headed too... like the last time you got pulled over?

LOL good times man. You were pretty cool then too.

I'm beginning a plan for this summer that will include the need for TKC-80's Moab, Arches, and the like

Cooter, There are some fantastic sights in the Moab region. Escalante staircase and all kinds of fossils and such. Mom's café in Salina is the real deal--right down to the pies.

What bike gets the knobbies? I am kind of liking the idea.

No, this Sheriff was in a different zone, and a different Hot Spring. I was driving in a much more sedate (less stupid) fashion. I had just gotten out the springs and was pretty relaxed--not paying attention.

I saw him later reading the riot act to some cagers so I lucked out for sure.

Opto

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast