Thread: New ADV in the Garage

Hybrid View

New ADV in the Garage

Hi all,

It's been a while since I've written...been busy with work but also gearing up for the riding season. I sold the 2009 XB12Ss to a forum member. I'll let him introduce himself if he likes. But, I will say we live on opposite sides of the country and he did a great job of making the transaction seamless. It's my first time selling a motorcycle from a distance like that, and it really went just about as smoothly as can be hoped for.

In the meantime, I bought a new 2018 Suzuki V-Strom 1000XT. It's my first ADV bike and I'm loving it so far! I have a bunch of farkles that I'm getting ready to add (crash bars, skid plate, hard cases, etc.). Looking forward to putting some miles on it!

So, I just wanted to also say that I really appreciate all the advice I've gotten on this forum over the years. It's been a great place to hang out and talk about bikes. I'll always have a special place in my heart for Buells and maybe I'll own another one someday. They are such cool and fun machines! I'll still be around on the forum to get my Buell fix and see how everyone is doing.

Enjoy the riding this year and be safe out there!

James

IMG_3030.jpg

Great bike James. John owns a couple of them as well. I will tell you one thing, that Suzuki v-twin might be the most indestructible power plant besides the Chrysler slant six that's ever been built! I just recently sold my very first purpose built track day bike. It was an sv650, it was beat to living death when I bought it. One of the most highly neglected and beat up motorcycles I've ever seen in all my life. The price was right and it ran and went through all the gears so I bought it. We freshened it up and took it to the track and relentlessly beat the living fu@k out of it, bounced it off the rev limiter lap after lap, it never skipped a beat. It sat in my shop collecting dust for many years until two weeks ago when some kid decided he wanted to purchase it. I threw a battery in it and she lit right up. I couldn't believe it. Enjoy your new ride James she looks awesome, love the colors. Wally

Inactive
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    excites me wally when you post up comments like that. the Suzuki 90-degree V-twin in SV...TL...and V-S applications truly is one of the greatest motors in cycling history.

James: that's the coolest looking V-strom i've ever seen and i recall telling you that when you were shopping for a dual sport. glad that western PA guy is happy with the Buell deal. those Pittsburgh and Lake Erie people are wonderful folks.

Good luck with your new bike, I also have an adventure bike well actually two, one Ully and one Triumph, you will like it and like Wally said, the V-Strom is a great bike.

Heck yes Submax that’s a nice ride!
    Please post your adventures in Gen M/C chat, you’re a nice addition to this forum, we’d hate to lose ya!

Thanks guys! It's been cold and rainy here lately, so I haven't had much chance to put miles on the V-Strom. Took it out for a short ride today...love it so far! Very comfortable, very smooth and responsive engine. Should be fun for most any kind of riding...twisties, long distance touring, light off road activity. And, I do love the look of it...love the yellow/black scheme and the matching spoked wheels. I didn't start out as an ADV fan when they were first becoming popular, but this V-Strom has a look that really grew on me as I was shopping around.

Wally - Thanks for the compliments and for sharing the SV story. John has said similar things about his V-Stroms...fantastic engines. I'm looking forward to many miles of getting to know it. I have a buddy back in NJ who owns a SV650 that I've ridden...that is also a fun bike and loved the way it handled. I could see that being a great track day bike.

John - That means a lot coming from you...especially considering that the bike is in Steeler colors. Thanks for all your advice during my V-Strom purchase!

Kenny - Thanks! What kind of Triumph do you have? I was thinking about a Tiger 800 along with the V-Strom when I was shopping.

Cooter - Thanks for the kind words! I'll definitely still be around the forum and will share stories. And, like I said...gotta get my Buell fix!