Thread: What’s wrong with my fuel pump?

What’s wrong with my fuel pump?

This was the sound my fuel pump made on initial start up after it sat all winter. It didn’t start and I haven’t tested anything yet just wanted some opinions first. Anyone ever heard anything like it? https://youtu.be/2PjTGcCUERk

Can we get a little background info on the bike? Please?

What year, how many miles, what mods, recent maintenance... ....things of that nature.

From your video it sounds more like a battery issue than a fuel pump issue.
    Get your battery tested before you do anything else. Buells require seriously strong batteries to crank and run.
    Last edited by Chicknstripn; 04-19-2019 at 02:42 AM.

It’s a stock ‘08 SCG as far as mechanical components go. 13,000 miles in great shape with all the routine maintenance done. I added fuel stabilizer around October when I garaged it in a heated garage for the winter. Full charge on the batter and cranks strong...I don’t know. The fuel stabilizer is the only variable in my mind.
    Last edited by Hawkdriver; 04-19-2019 at 02:51 AM.

So....
    In the video you’re not attempting to crank the bike AT ALL?

Then I’d say your pump is toast.
    Or there’s a chaffed wire on the pump inside the tank.

But first, check all the grounds on your bike and have your battery tested. Your battery should be showing 13.5-13.3 volts prior to hitting the starter switch. If it isn’t or if it drops a volt or more while attempting to start, then I’d say your battery is the problem.

The things I’ve mentioned to check cost you nothing but a little time. Pulling your pump isn’t hard but it’s tedious. Also, nee pumps are expensive. So rule every other possibility out first.

1) battery- get it load tested
    2) check ALL your grounds
    Last edited by Chicknstripn; 04-19-2019 at 03:11 AM.

Looks like it was a fuse! Didn’t even think to check the fuse because it seemed like the pump had power. Explain that please. I have only put about 2000 miles on this bike and have never owned a fuel injected motorcycle before. I thought the priming noise it makes was the pump but that’s all the way in the back of the bike... not where the noise is coming from. How was it priming with a blown fuse? Or at least how was it making the priming noise? Enlighten me.

At the end of the day it was a 1$ fix so I’m thankful. Fuse box will be my first or second stop from here on out. Lesson learned.

That’s real good advice.
    I should have suggested checking the fuses. But I totally over looked that! Good catch. The fuses, or should I say the fuse contacts, can get corroded and honestly I have no idea why a blown fuse still had an effect on the component it was linked to. Very weird.

Good job finding the issue.

Battery
    Fuses
    Grounds

That should be sacrament for initial Buell trouble shooting.

I do appreciate this forum and the many knowledgeable and helpful people you can find on here. Thanks for the tips lunatic... not sure if I upset you or something?

Anyways, what I’m trying to figure out is what the noise is coming from when you turn the key and turn the engine switch on but haven’t engaged the starter yet. If the fuel pump is in the rear why does the noise seem to come from the front. I assume it’s some part of the fuel sequencing as I know it is priming for start but what is it? Whatever it was still had power even with my fuel pump fuse being popped.

Also, the video is just a recording of what I’m describing in this post. I have not engaged the starter yet just the priming noise you get when you apply power.

Checked the IEV, that’s not it. It’s a normal sound. Nothing wrong or failing. Was just curious what it was. I have always understood it to be the fuel pump priming but was confused when my fuel pump fuse popped it still made the noise just sounded funny and different (like in the video). Then I replaced the fuse and it is back to normal.