Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ECM Droid Newby question

ECM Droid Newby question

2006 Uly. Wanted to check AFV before getting an aftermarket muffler. Reading is 109.9% on rear. I know + - 10% is ok but that is close to the line. I do have a K & N filter and a few extra holes in the airbox so I am thinking this is why the ECU is adding a little extra fuel. Bike runs great. I interpret this as everything (i.e. intake seals) is OK and as expected. Correct?

You can check your intake seals by spraying carb cleaner on them while it idles, if it changes, your intake seals need to be replaced

Did that last year, they seemed ok. forgot to mention the bike is stock except for the K & N and ventilated airbox.

I'd check them again to be sure. Its a quick and easy test, and the seals aren't exactly the most robust pieces out there. Unless someone has been in there and replaced them, there's a good chance they're 13 +/- years old. And they're very inexpensive and available at pretty much any Harley dealer.

I was going to say "just remove 4 bolts and the manifold comes right off"... but its the most hellish 4 bolts you'll ever deal with. LOL!

I think that is one of those "if it ain't broke don't fix it situations". If they are OK, good chance of making them worse.

Good advice to just check the intake seals again. So finally some sunshine and close to 60 degree temps. took her out for a little ride to warm her up an test those seals. Every time i get on this bike I am reminded how much i love it. Such a great bike. Anyway, seals are still good according to the test. I tried to go as long and steady as I could around 3000 rpm. AFV still 109.9. bike runs fine, idles fine except every second or two the revs will drop maybe a couple hundred rpm for an instant and then return to about 1100. the tach needle flutters a slightly at idle. Hard to say if that is the tach or the motor. Anything to worry about? Again, could the K & N filter and open airbox account for the increased fuel?

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by tleighbell View Post
    Good advice to just check the intake seals again. So finally some sunshine and close to 60 degree temps. took her out for a little ride to warm her up an test those seals. Every time i get on this bike I am reminded how much i love it. Such a great bike. Anyway, seals are still good according to the test. I tried to go as long and steady as I could around 3000 rpm. AFV still 109.9. bike runs fine, idles fine except every second or two the revs will drop maybe a couple hundred rpm for an instant and then return to about 1100. the tach needle flutters a slightly at idle. Hard to say if that is the tach or the motor. Anything to worry about? Again, could the K & N filter and open airbox account for the increased fuel?
    Tim: my mandatory qualifier here is that I AM NO ecm guru....i know very little about their inner-workings.
    1-that 110% seems a tad high. have you ever installed a generic "race map" to account for the filter and airbox mod? it would help.
    2-your fluctuating idle on a pre-2008 typically indicative of either a failing ecm ground and/or fuel pump with fluctuating pressure. didn't i send you a new pump?????
    remove seat...go to ecm...find little black wire with ring-loop on end of it...and check it's ground surface. then go to left frame rail where the negative batt cable and ground wires attach and remove, sand, clean, sand again and reattach. should help.

Thanks John. was waiting for you to chime in! The bike came with the Buell Race ECM installed and stock exhaust. Was told it made no sense with stock exhaust. so installed standard ECM and discovered at the same time that the exhaust valve actuator was pooched so replaced that and the bike runs better than it ever did.

So this makes me re-think installing an after market muffler because all the tunes that go with it will disable the open loop (or is it closed loop where the AFV gets adjusted? I forget, getting too old. Anyway...). Seems that the ability to adjust AFV to compensate for a lean condition (i.e. the ever present intake leak) can avoid some engine damage. So maybe it is worth keeping stock set up. Thoughts anyone?

BTW, planning to go over all the grounds ASAP and yes, picking up the pump on Thursday.

A standard Buell 'Race' tune runs in closed loop just like the stock Buell program does and will be better with any aftermarket muffler than the stock tune will. You could put on the aftermarket muffler and use the stock Buell 'Race tune' and be in good shape. IMO.

You are correct about programming that disables closed loop not being able to adjust for conditions other than altitude (Baro active). Its not a stock vs. aftermarket tuning difference. It's a setting difference. Lately Buelltooth has been offering tunes with CL disabled that seem to run very well. If you get any map that you like, you can still enable closed loop and allow the AFV to change without changing the program or fueling tables.

Last edited by Cooter; 04-23-2019 at 04:19 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast