Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ECM Droid Newby question

Thanks Cooter. I thought that the reason for disabling closed loop is to prevent the AFV going back to stoich which leans out the whole map and defeats the performance benefit of any re-mapping. But I guess you are saying that the custom mapping will still give the extra fuel where you need it even if AFV can go back to stoich. Is that right?

Anyone else sometimes long for the days of points and jets?

The ECM goes into closed loop when in a cruising state where stoic (efficiency) is exactly what you need.
    Closed loop (cruising) is: ECM fires the injectors according to the RPM/load you're at in the fuel table, reads O2 sensor, applies the correction, and then the fires the injectors again. A "Closed Loop", get it?

In closed loop, the AFV is a global fuel map adjustment the ECM makes to keep the fuel map where it's efficient. It doesn't care why its lean or rich (temp, humidity, baro) it adjusts to stoic because you are cruising and don't need full throttle (rich) power. Why dump in extra fuel when you're just putting around?

Open loop is what happens when you whack the throttle open. The ECM refers directly to the fuel table, where it should be tuned to know what your bike needs with aftermarket parts. It references the fuel table and it's corrections (EGO) but doesn't reference the O2 sensor, so you can go as rich as you like in open loop.

Warning: Oversimplification not meant to start a nitpick distraction

Oh lord, I'm a fan of points and carbs, but I just had a buddy buy a pretty nice 1984 Jeep CJ with a electronic feed-back carb from the height of smog-hell that wants help tuning. Time to dust off those cobwebs.

Ditch the feedback carb and install the mopar multi point injection kit. It changes the distributor, intake ,pump and ect. Night and day difference.

Thanks Cooter. Think i get it.

Quote Originally Posted by lunaticfringe View Post
    Don't threaten me with a good time! I ran an Andy Granitellis Tune Up Masters in the early 90's. Tune ups for $49! So every a-hole with a big block mustang, motorhome, or emissions nightmare, would get their plugs changed while the manifolds were still hot. Ugh, those were the days.
    I can re-build a Quadrajet, Carter, Thermo-quad, or Holley... completely blindfolded. I mean literally. Since I was into bikes, it made re-building and synching a rail of 4 flat-slide Kehins childsplay

I can also lower a late 80's Chevy Astro Van in 4 hours 13 minutes, also blindfolded, but I digress...

Outlaw, I'll check that out

or Cooters name isnt Andy Granetelli!

cooter.jpg
    Last edited by 34nineteen; 04-24-2019 at 10:26 PM.

Oh God that patch brings back some memories

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    Oh God that patch brings back some memories
    Growing up in LA, I remember they were everywhere, then they were all gone.

Cooter is the wiz of Quadrajet carbs and HEI ignition!

Or my names not Andy Granetelli.

I want to see him do it blindfolded!! Really! Lol!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast