Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ulysses a bit snatchy through trans

Ulysses a bit snatchy through trans

Hey Everyone, my Ulysses has just clocked over 70,000kms so have freshened up a lot of parts to see if I can eliminate a minor engine miss. Miss does clear after around 30km so looks like it is a tuning issue in a couple of rev ranges so nothing major. Over the last few thousand ks though, I have noticed that the bike is not very tolerant to being caught in too higher gear. I used to be able to just lug it out and it took it in it's stride but now it is quite snatchy through the trans till the revs increase. Has anyone experienced this. I have a 03 XB9s and it doesn't care what gear it's in but the Uly is way more sensitive. As far as I can tell all adjustments are good like primary chain etc. Any Ideas????. Cheers, Stu

Check your plugs ! If those are good, clean your grounds, if those are good, do a intake seal leak test.

Yep, done all that, new plugs and leads, new intake seals, injectors, new TPS, coil and extra grounds around the bike. Did all this as a 70km freshen up which was pretty inexpensive.

Inactive
    Has anyone experienced this.
    yes.

if I can eliminate a minor engine miss.
    is it in the 2300-3300rpm range????
    if so i know what it is.

Hi, yes the erratic miss is in that range and only on a steady light load throttle. It is not continuous, just occasionally in the first 30km of any run then it seems to settle. AFV is 105%. I would be keen to hear what you think it is.

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by Mito View Post
    Hi, yes the erratic miss is in that range and only on a steady light load throttle. It is not continuous, just occasionally in the first 30km of any run then it seems to settle. AFV is 105%. I would be keen to hear what you think it is.
    more common than you think on 2005-2008 Ulysses models. i'll assume your battery cables are clean and tight...and that you have no active CEL and stored historical fault codes. if that's the case then do this:
    1-a few ulysses as they left the factory had the ecm harness routed very close to the battery terminal. over time a sharp edge would slice thru the harness and nick 1 or more wires resulting in short-to-ground. check yours closely.
    2-all XB grounds are thin-guage plain black wire. find your ecm ground wire in the harness. has shiny ringlet end on it. in all probability will be corroded and loose. fix it.
    3-go to left frame rail and check the torx screw that holds grounds to rail. in all probability will be corroded and loose. fix same
    4-run a dedicated ground wire from the rear ignition coil mount allen-head bolt to the frame rail as per #3 above. do NOT run it to the negative battery terminal.
    steps above should resolve your problem.

do NOT run it to the negative battery terminal.
    oops i should move mine!

I hadn't really realized until I replaced the tail section of my lightning that the entire rear of the bike seems to rely on continuity from the seat rail to the tank/frame for grounding??(If im correct in my observation) I made sure and clean the metal at that mounting point on install just for good measure.

that added wire really makes sense now!

Hey Lunatic, thanks for that. I had already added more grounds to the bike. From the coil mount to the steering head, coil mount to the other side of the top engine stay and yes, coil mount to the neg side of the battery. What are the implications of this?????. I will relocate to the torx screw mount to the side of the battery. When I did my fan replacement, I cleaned up all of the subframe mounts. I will check the ECM loom and grounds. Cheers, Stu

Inactive
    my pleasure stu. most of the work that the ecm does is by grounding various components to make them work properly. things such as the fan...injectors...assorted sensors....you name it. the ecm is particularly ground sensitive and ulysses notorious for that mid speed stutter at certain times that you described. look for the ecm ground wire both at the ecm harness and the wiring schematic if you have a SM handy. and also double-check the grounds that attach to the left side frame rail in the battery area. a questionable ecm ground will always give that stutter and pop particularly on the XB12 models.

Quote Originally Posted by lunaticfringe View Post
    4-run a dedicated ground wire from the rear ignition coil mount allen-head bolt to the frame rail as per #3 above. do NOT run it to the negative battery terminal.
    steps above should resolve your problem.

Why is that?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast