Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What kind of air filter is this?

So I found this for sale on ebay, and it looks the same except the rubber appears to be more of a gray than black. I did notice mine said made in USA, so it could be a harley part. I assume it's not paper, but still don't have details on maintenance even if it were this.s-l1600.jpgs-l1600 (2).jpgs-l1600 (1).jpg

Quote Originally Posted by RidetheLightning View Post
    So I found this for sale on ebay, and it looks the same except the rubber appears to be more of a gray than black. I did notice mine said made in USA, so it could be a harley part. I assume it's not paper, but still don't have details on maintenance even if it were this.s-l1600.jpgs-l1600 (2).jpgs-l1600 (1).jpg
    That is non reusable Buell performance air filter.

Inactive
    one of the torx bolts on the base is stripped so I haven't taken it off
    the head of the bolt OR the threaded receiver in the frame? the #27 torx bolt was factory installed with special "pink" loctite and a stripped out torx head indicative of some ham-fisted novice working on your XB.

Only issue running I've noticed is a hot start causes a low idle, which I'm hoping will just involve a TPS reset.
    it won't.

you have a 2007. it has serious mods to both intake and exhaust sides. your priorities are skewed.
    be assured some sort of performance "map" was previously installed or prior engine damage in all likelihood would have resulted by now. if rideability seems acceptable...."seat-of-the-pants" performance feels good....NO raw un-burned fuel aroma at idle...and the front spark plug(the easiest to access) reads clean and within parameters....then simply adjust your warm temp curb speed idle to 1000rpm and leave your hands off the ecm.
    status of tires....rotors....brake pads....all fluids....suspension settings....location and condition of all grounds....ignition system condition....and condition of EVERYTHING under your seat particularly the battery and it's connections far more important than dicking around with maps and ecm.
    Last edited by user_deleted; 04-21-2019 at 12:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lunaticfringe View Post
    one of the torx bolts on the base is stripped so I haven't taken it off
    the head of the bolt OR the threaded receiver in the frame? the #27 torx bolt was factory installed with special "pink" loctite and a stripped out torx head indicative of some ham-fisted novice working on your XB.

Only issue running I've noticed is a hot start causes a low idle, which I'm hoping will just involve a TPS reset.
    it won't.

you have a 2007. it has serious mods to both intake and exhaust sides. your priorities are skewed.
    be assured some sort of performance "map" was previously installed or prior engine damage in all likelihood would have resulted. if rideability seems acceptable...."seat-of-the-pants" performance feels good....NO raw un-burnt fuel aroma at idle...and the front spark plug(the easiest to access) reads clean and within parameters....then simply adjust your warm temp curb speed idle to 1000rpm and leave your hands off the ecm.
    status of tires....rotors....brake pads....all fluids....suspension settings....location and condition of all grounds....ignition system condition....and condition of EVERYTHING under your seat particularly the battery and it's connections far more important than dicking around with maps and ecm.
    Blunt and to the point!
    John has spoken!

I could not have said it better myself! Totally agree.

I wouldn’t purchase anything for the bike until you follow Johns sound advice.

Well, maybe a Bluetooth dongle and download ECMdroid so you can check if there are any historic codes.
    Also, go to Buellmods.com and download a service manual. A manual will help you learn how to inspect and service your bike.

Awesome advice, John, thanks again! How do I adjust the warm temp curb speed idle? I won't worry about the ecm since I definitely wouldn't know how to fix anything if a map didn't work as expected. Tires are great, lots of life on pads, no warped rotor, but does look like the oil's a little dark. Going with amsoil 20W50 in swingarm and primary (ordered extra primary access gaskets), and K&N oil filter. Need to check suspension and grounds/battery connections. Battery was a battery tender lithium, which I'm not familiar with and seemed smaller than stock (previous owner has foam pieces to keep from it sliding around). Not sure if that is normal practice. I also forgot to mention it does have a check engine light, which the seller says is normal if the exhuast valve is no longer used. Also a reason I'd like to get the Buelltooth (to confirm and hopefully clear). I read about workarounds to stow the valve servo under the seat, but I thought I saw a way to clear the code and uncheck it in ECMDroid so it stays clear.
    Last edited by RidetheLightning; 04-21-2019 at 01:55 PM.

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by RidetheLightning View Post
    Awesome advice, John, thanks again! How do I adjust the warm temp curb speed idle? I won't worry about the ecm since I definitely wouldn't know how to fix anything if a map didn't work as expected. Tires are great, lots of life on pads, no warped rotor, but does look like the oil's a little dark. Going with amsoil 20W50 in swingarm and primary (ordered extra primary access gaskets), and K&N oil filter. Need to check suspension and grounds/battery connections. Battery was a battery tender lithium, which I'm not familiar with and seemed smaller than stock (previous owner has foam pieces to keep from it sliding around). Not sure if that is normal practice. I also forgot to mention it does have a check engine light, which the seller says is normal if the exhuast valve is no longer used. Also a reason I'd like to get the Buelltooth (to confirm and hopefully clear). I read about workarounds to stow the valve servo under the seat, but I thought I saw a way to clear the code and uncheck it in ECMDroid so it stays clear.
    yes sir, you're quite welcome. here's a few answers to your questions:

1-amsoil 20wt-50 cycle oil is excellent. and either an OEM or Wix or K&N or Bosch oil filter also excellent. your XB incidentally takes the same oil filter as all 2007 and up toyota yaris 1.5L cars. available cheap at any auto parts joint.
    2-you mentioned primary cover "access" gaskets. good call. when removing the top 2-screw access cover check the primary chain adjustment at room temp, when the cover's off. simple procedure covered in the service manual.
    3-swingarm WITH FILTER CHANGE takes 2.5 quarts.............primary with full 1-hour drain takes 1 quart.
    IMPORTANT: the swingarm and primary drain plugs interchange. each has little O-ring on same. replace it! i keep them in stock. let me know if you need a pair and i'll send them to you.
    4-i am NO ecm guru! i believe buelltooth and ecmspy share basic ingredients. once connected and active and that means key AND kill switch to ON position....you should be able to locate a "turn off/deactivate interactive exhaust valve system" tab or button. turn it off and clear all historical codes after you've examined them.
    5-i am NOT a fan of lithium batteries in an XB but some on here are. if it cranks the bike well then leave it in. if it flares up then scrap it and replace with a Deka or Big Crank AGM ETX-14. priced right and factory issued. they're great.
    6-you mentioned a stripped torx screw holding the airbox base plate to the frame. that should be addressed. the base plate is held to the frame with four #27 torx that are dimensionally "about the same" as the 4 that hold the front fender in place. all 4 base plate screws must be correctly installed and tight or problems will eventually arise. address that situation.
    7-your 2007 XB has a manually adjustable thumb-screw to adjust both the TPS assembly as well as curb-idle speed. SEE PIC! pic depicts screw with factory left front air-scoop removed. use either allen wrench or straight-slot screw driver to adjust it. get bike up to operating temp then adjust so tach reads approx. 1000rpm engine speed at warm idle....this with fully charged battery and 1 headlight on...any other accessories turned OFF. it's tempting to set the idle speed lower for that sexy sportster-type loping 1%er idle speed but resist that temptation. your cams and crank-pin main bearing will thank you.

idle screw.jpg
    Last edited by user_deleted; 04-21-2019 at 02:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GregoXB View Post
    That is non reusable Buell performance air filter.
    I actually found an old thread on this filter and they claimed it could be soaked with soapy water and rinsed from the inside out. It's a higher flow reusable paper filter. Not sure I trust the health of my bike on this info though, so may just go with true K&N when it seems like t needs it.

Both of my Buells have[had] Race Kits with the Buell Performance Air Filter.
    It's a good filter, no need to replace it with a K&N.
    Jack-O-Lantern
    2006 Buell XBRS LightningBolt
    http://www.buellxb.com/forum/album.php?albumid=129

Quote Originally Posted by Lusiphur View Post
    Both of my Buells have[had] Race Kits with the Buell Performance Air Filter.
    It's a good filter, no need to replace it with a K&N.
    Good to hear. So can you confirm it's reusable/washable paper that you don't need to oil?

Ive ridden in extremely dusty areas or tracked my buells, so I always used compressed air to blow mine out

Jack-O-Lantern
    2006 Buell XBRS LightningBolt
    http://www.buellxb.com/forum/album.php?albumid=129

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast