Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2003 XB9R Rebuild

2003 XB9R Rebuild

Hey all, just picked up an 03 XB9R project bike that I'll be bringing back to life. It's got about 7500 miles on it, and looks like those have been hard miles. Laid down on the left it appears, broken fairing stay, wiring issues, and is only running on 1 cylinder. Guy wanted 2k, I offered $1550 because I couldn't ride it (seems like the kickstand safety switch is bad, will die as soon as clutch begins to be released in any gear or neutral.) First purchases were a Buelltooth, used rear fairing of the right color, grips, and plugs. Will be installing this weekend. I'll update this thread with my progress as I pull the bike down and build it back up! Pretty excited, always wanted a 9r.

Good deal, looks like a super easy project! Keep posting pics, we like pics

Over the weekend I replaced the plugs and got it to fire up, and pulled the codes with the Buelltooth. It showed a "rear o2 always lean" codes and an air temp sensor out of range. Cleared the codes, replaced the 02, reset the tps and reset the fuel trim back to 100 (was at 140 something) and it runs WAYYYY better. After a spin around the block the check engine light popped on for a few seconds and then went back off. Pulled codes again and the rear o2 always lean was back. Cleared it and it hasn't returned. Checked for intake leaks and didn't find anything (used starting fluid around intake when engine was hot.) Leaning towards a potential ground issue. What's also puzzling is the speed sensor, the neutral sensor, and the 02 sensor all are bad. Has me thinking that something is backfeeding where it shouldn't. Will run a dedicated ground from battery to ecm, and from the engine to the frame by where the neg. strap bolts up this weekend.

Also was reading about the 5v regulator in the speed sensor, and was wondering if the speed sponsor part #74402-95B that I have on order had the regulator built in before I go tearing a USB car charger apart. Thanks all!

Looks like it has a K&N

Put the correct color tail on it

Straightening the bar (before)

After

The steering head bearings appear to be toast as well, so those are on order. The parts list to go on is as follows: speedometer sensor, neutral sensor, blinkers, steering head bearings. I also need to recover both seats and need to find a new rear compartment cover and toolkit, as well as the plastic for the undertail (mines cracked.)

Good work!!!

If you haven't already, the "All Balls" tapered bearings for the steering neck are a good upgrade. The speedo sensor gets a 5v signal, so it doesn't need its own regulator. IIRC 2003 had its own for some reason?

Keep your eye on the AFV just in case theres a different issue, clearing codes only erases the clue, not the problem.

IMHO I would never straighten the clip-on because it's compromised and now fatigued. They are super cheap. Even under $20 from the dealer. SPHDonline.com is a good great source for new OE parts.

XBR seats are the same as 1125 so front and rear are probably cheaper to buy than recover.

I have a spare fuse box and relay cover for an XBr Mine came off and XB12r, I think they’re the same for the 9 and the 12. PM me your address and which one you need, I can’t remember which side is which, and I’ll send it out to ya.
    Keep up the good work on the rebuild and diagnostics.

I see a can of seafoam on that John deer. Is Tea bag helping you ?

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast