Thread: First Buell ... ‘08 XB12XT

First Buell ... ‘08 XB12XT

Hi everyone,

I’ve just acquired my first Buell, a 2008 XT, 26k miles, fitted with a FS pulley, a Zero Gravity screen, Remus can and a full set of Buell luggage. Otherwise it seems pretty much standard. I’m currently giving it a service, new belt, wheel bearings, front pads, etc. and chasing down a cutting-out problem
    Last edited by JimRideThis!; 04-26-2019 at 08:43 PM.

Welcome ! nice ,pics please!

+1 on the pics. Let us know what you find on the service end of things...

Any progress with my Ulysses has been delayed by home stuff, but I haven’t been totally idle

I’ve been through the wiring, cleaning connectors (not too bad), tightened the battery posts (both were slightly loose), covered a small bit of friction-wear-exposed wiring with amalgamating tape - as it was on one of the injector circuit looms, it could well be the cause of the cutting out problem?

The back wheel’s now out for bearings and the drive belt change. I removed the rear wheel bearings tonight, both were in decent shape but I’ve a set of SKF’s to put in there anyway. I’ll do the same with the front over the next few days).

Other than that I’ve been giving it a good clean wherever I’m at, lubing, etc. It hasn’t been pampered but on the plus side, underneath the grime it looks pretty sound. I don’t think it’s been apart at all, unless the PO’s had all the right tools but no access to a grease gun or oil can

TTFN, JRT!
    Last edited by JimRideThis!; 04-26-2019 at 08:42 PM.

It’s all back together again, rear wheel bearings changed, new belt, etc. I’ll have a test run tomorrow and report back with pictures! Front bearings and brake pads still to do.

Way to go Jim,

At least you will know things are as they should be

Congratulations on the 'new' bike!

I just bought my first Buell, also an '08 XB12XT, about a month ago. Mine has had some trials and misfortune with Previous Owners - I've about gotten them all straightened out. Wiring was an adventure!

Mine has 55K on it, mostly stock except for a K&N-ish air filter, and what I was told in a 'Special Ops' pipe. Too loud for me, but the bike runs pretty good. Oh, and I found out a PO had swapped the suspension (front and rear) for those bits off an X. No worries - I'm tall enough to reach the ground.

Curious how your bike is 'cutting out'. I'll follow the thread for more information.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverrider View Post
    Welcome ! nice ,pics please!
    Here you go...

JRT!

That's just ....................................... purty !

Quote Originally Posted by Pushr0d View Post
    Congratulations on the 'new' bike!

I just bought my first Buell, also an '08 XB12XT, about a month ago. Mine has had some trials and misfortune with Previous Owners - I've about gotten them all straightened out. Wiring was an adventure!

Mine has 55K on it, mostly stock except for a K&N-ish air filter, and what I was told in a 'Special Ops' pipe. Too loud for me, but the bike runs pretty good. Oh, and I found out a PO had swapped the suspension (front and rear) for those bits off an X. No worries - I'm tall enough to reach the ground.

Curious how your bike is 'cutting out'. I'll follow the thread for more information.
    Hello PushR0d,

I’m assuming the cutting out was due to the exposed wire (to the rear injector). It hasn’t stumbled or cut out since I repaired it.

Next up was bad surging on constant throttle - cured that with the engine breather reroute.

Everything seems to be AOK now, just minor tidying up here and there. By the look of things, it hasn’t been cosseted by PO’s but, on a more positive note, they haven’t done anything other than neglect it. It spent most of its life up on the Isle of Skye, western Scotland which explains some of the corrosion I’m finding. I’ll leave that until winter

I have to say, the Remus can on mine is too loud for my taste too. It’s creating a feedback loop in my lid which I’d find really irritating / tiring on a long haul. I need to check it’s got the right dB killers in there, if so, I’ll be looking for a standard can or something a little quieter. If I were to set off for the south of France today, I’d be taking my TDM, not the Buell