Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stock right scoop?

Stock right scoop?

I have a 2007 XB12SCG and am looking at parts to help cooling since I live in Phoenix. I saw the large right side scoop, but was wondering if my bike has some sort of smaller scoop already? I’ve seen other pictures where Lightning’s don’t appear to have this piece.IMG_3976.jpg
    Last edited by RidetheLightning; 04-23-2019 at 12:00 AM.

I suggest this one, especially in Phoenix. It is one of the first things I do to my buells.

SCG.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Silverrider View Post
    I suggest this one, especially in Phoenix. It is one of the first things I do to my buells.

SCG.jpg
    Nice bike. Do you know if the shroud helps much? the scoop and shroud combo is $130, which seems steep to add that much for a plastic piece over part of the exhaust. I'm more worried about engine temp than my leg, but if it helps keep everything cool it might be worth it.

The Uly 'comfort kit' includes the RSS and heat shielding for the exhaust. You can just get the scoop if your right inner thigh is ok.
    Comfort kit $139:
    https://sphdonline.com/products/m190...12x-xb12xt-u7a

RSS and shield for XB $125:
    https://sphdonline.com/products/buel...xb-models-l19c

Just the RSS $69: (and worth every dang penny)
    https://sphdonline.com/products/m085...xb-models-l19c

Theres lots of carbon fiber or fiberglass aftermarket options and such as well on flEa-bay.

I sure love my 09 , I quess you can tell , LOL
    IMG_0106.jpg

I'm in Phoenix and did just the larger RSS only. It made a noticeable change to the heat. It's not a night and day difference, but it is noticeable cooler and worth the expense. I have not added a heat shield, so I can't speak on that. Although I always think about doing it and get side tracked before I order one.

But it is still a hot bike to ride in the AZ summer. I have the factory race exhaust and it blows hot air right on to my foot when stopped at a light. In my perforated leather boots, I can feel it. So I just move my boot forward.

Quote Originally Posted by RidetheLightning View Post
    Nice bike. Do you know if the shroud helps much? the scoop and shroud combo is $130, which seems steep to add that much for a plastic piece over part of the exhaust. I'm more worried about engine temp than my leg, but if it helps keep everything cool it might be worth it.

Its actually a metal shroud over the pipe itself, held on by hose clamps (in pure Harley style). I put one on my last bike, and it was so-so. In Phoenix, during the summer its so hot, all that shroud is going to do is prevent your leg from accidentally touching the pipe (which would be a rare/unique case). You're still going to be hot, regardless.

The RSS scoop is a definite must have. You'll notice a difference in cooling the engine and fan activity when you shut down the motor. There is a stock "scoop", but its more like a flat shroud. You need to remove it to install the RSS. The trash is where it belongs.

Chandler HD has sold me 3-4 RSS scoops over the years, but I just get the screws from Ace. Do yourself a favor and bring them in the part #'s.

IMG_5609.JPG
    Last edited by 34nineteen; 04-23-2019 at 07:52 PM.

I saw the hose clamps and thought it was a lot more to pay than the $69 just for the scoop. I'm more worried about engine heat than my leg, as it's going to be hot either way. Does the Uly kit fit a lightning? The SPHD site specifically calls out the models it's compatible with. Also, I saw some people adding makeshift head shields under the seat, but was wondering if this would actually trap heat around the engine.

Quote Originally Posted by RidetheLightning View Post
    I saw the hose clamps and thought it was a lot more to pay than the $69 just for the scoop. I'm more worried about engine heat than my leg, as it's going to be hot either way. Does the Uly kit fit a lightning? The SPHD site specifically calls out the models it's compatible with. Also, I saw some people adding makeshift head shields under the seat, but was wondering if this would actually trap heat around the engine.
    If I was going to do it again, I'd just do the RH scoop. The exhaust shield was nice to have, but it was hard to justify for the price (but then again, everything motorcycle is hard to justify for the price). I've never tried the underseat kit, but I've never felt the seat got too hot on a properly running XB. An 1125 is a different beast, and those f*ckers can get hot enough to boil gas in the tank. The only time I had an XB do that was when the rear head temp sensor went out.

Also, Cooter swears by a little bit of 2 stroke oil in the gas to help cooling. I read the trials and tribulations (and heckling) of Gloomshadow when he tried it on his. He likes it too.
    I tried it, and didnt notice a difference, but the Cooter thinks I had too much sauce in the gas.
    Last edited by 34nineteen; 04-23-2019 at 10:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 34nineteen View Post
    If I was going to do it again, I'd just do the RH scoop. The exhaust shield was nice to have, but it was hard to justify for the price (but then again, everything motorcycle is hard to justify for the price). I've never tried the underseat kit, but I've never felt the seat got too hot on a properly running XB. An 1125 is a different beast, and those f*ckers can get hot enough to boil gas in the tank. The only time I had an XB do that was when the rear head temp sensor went out.

Also, Cooter swears by a little bit of 2 stroke oil in the gas to help cooling. I read the trials and tribulations (and heckling) of Gloomshadow when he tried it on his. He likes it too.
    I tried it, and didnt notice a difference, but the Cooter thinks I had too much sauce in the gas.
    Thanks, I just got a cable to check the engine code. I hope it's just what the seller said is the exhaust valve, but it felt really hot, including the frame tank, for just a 30 min ride to work. I've still gotta check all the grounds, double check the fan is working properly, and change the oil. I feel like my roadstar 1600 should have gotten me used to the heat of an air cooled engine in Arizona, but that had a big fat seat.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast