Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stock right scoop?

Quote Originally Posted by RidetheLightning View Post
    Thanks, I just got a cable to check the engine code. I hope it's just what the seller said is the exhaust valve, but it felt really hot, including the frame tank, for just a 30 min ride to work. I've still gotta check all the grounds, double check the fan is working properly, and change the oil. I feel like my roadstar 1600 should have gotten me used to the heat of an air cooled engine in Arizona, but that had a big fat seat.
    When you shut down the bike after bringing to operating temp, the fan will run for awhile. That was one of my clues that something was wrong with my bike. You can use ECM Droid to manually turn on the fan. You can also disable to the exhaust valve with ECM Droid as well. I think its called the IAV. Double checking and cleaning the grounds on these bikes is never a bad thing. You may want to run an auxilliary ground wire from the battery to the coil. Some people swear by it, I think I noticed a minor difference when I did it on my last one.

Yes to all of that. 34:19 has you well covered

Air cooled engines are designed for a MUCH broader operating temperature range. Most of your concern is unneeded, It hasn't even been that hot in PHX (yet) If you are still concerned, you can use ECMDroid with a bluetooth dongle ($40-ish from Buelltooth.com) and wirelessly transmit "live data" (like gauges) to your Android phone on a handlebar mount. That includes temp from the head and a vast amount of other parameters.

Otherwise, just ride it. She will tell you when she's too hot by first pulling timing (weak on power), lowering redline, even killing one cylinder, and then shutting down.
    315* (IIRC stock) is where the ECM starts to pull timing because of the heat and not even in one cylinder 'parade mode' yet. Try THAT with your Kia!

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    Yes to all of that. 34:19 has you well covered

Air cooled engines are designed for a MUCH broader operating temperature range. Most of your concern is unneeded, It hasn't even been that hot in PHX (yet) If you are still concerned, you can use ECMDroid with a bluetooth dongle ($40-ish from Buelltooth.com) and wirelessly transmit "live data" (like gauges) to your Android phone on a handlebar mount. That includes temp from the head and a vast amount of other parameters.

Otherwise, just ride it. She will tell you when she's too hot by first pulling timing (weak on power), lowering redline, even killing one cylinder, and then shutting down.
    315* (IIRC stock) is where the ECM starts to pull timing because of the heat and not even in one cylinder 'parade mode' yet. Try THAT with your Kia!
    Thanks ordered the buelltooth and gonna ride some more. Good to know it has some failsafe. This is my first fuel injected bike and highest performance e so it's kinda hard to know what baseline should feel like.

Not sure if it been mentioned yet but go to www.buellmods.com and download a service manual.
    The service manual will help you out tremendously when you’re trying to wrench around the bike.

I try to not refer back to watercooled parameters. I lived in Mesa, and didn't have a RSS. Was toasty. Almost thought the fan was broke one ride when it didn't come on. It did when I shut it off.
    I'm still not used to air cooled engines. So they always seem too hot for me. But just a new language I gotta learn.

Nice ride to Tortilla Flat. East past AJ

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12