Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So I'm looking for an XB12S, advice appreciated!

So I'm looking for an XB12S, advice appreciated!

So I'm looking for an XB12S (S, SS, cg), and I've found a 2004 XB12S somewhat close to home here: Red 2004 XB12S Looks to be 100% stock.
    I also found another 2009 XB12SS here: Black 2009 XB12SS but this one is much farther away. Minor mods, tail chop is the biggest mod.

I could drive to the first one and ride or haul it back in >2 hours, the second one I'd have to fly and ride it home 6+ hours. I used to own a 2004 XB12S before, and I can't remember how the clutch was in traffic but in the mountains it seemed fine. I also like the red color over the "murdered out" look. Given these two, which seems better? Any other advice is likewise welcome.

If I could find a Cherry Bomb Red or Translucent Blue 2009 XB12S that would be my dream bike. I did find one, but the fellow wants $8000 for it here: Blue 2009 XB12SS 2300 miles, but $8k seems high and I won't ride enough to justify that kind of coin.

As an aside, I thought all 2009 XB bikes had ZTL2 calipers?

Quote Originally Posted by keithd View Post
    So I'm looking for an XB12S (S, SS, cg), and I've found a 2004 XB12S somewhat close to home here: Red 2004 XB12S Looks to be 100% stock.
    I also found another 2009 XB12SS here: Black 2009 XB12SS but this one is much farther away. Minor mods, tail chop is the biggest mod.

I could drive to the first one and ride or haul it back in >2 hours, the second one I'd have to fly and ride it home 6+ hours. I used to own a 2004 XB12S before, and I can't remember how the clutch was in traffic but in the mountains it seemed fine. I also like the red color over the "murdered out" look. Given these two, which seems better? Any other advice is likewise welcome.

If I could find a Cherry Bomb Red or Translucent Blue 2009 XB12S that would be my dream bike. I did find one, but the fellow wants $8000 for it here: Blue 2009 XB12SS 2300 miles, but $8k seems high and I won't ride enough to justify that kind of coin.

As an aside, I thought all 2009 XB bikes had ZTL2 calipers?
    Just bought my first, and found the thread below extremely helpful. I bought a bike with some mods, so it also helped to do some research beforehand to know what was done and read review of the equipment (i.e. exhaust). That red bike looks extremely clean and low miles.

https://www.buellxb.com/forum/showth...B-Buyers-Guide

Inactive
    I thought all 2009 XB bikes had ZTL2 calipers?
    NO. only the 12's....not the 9's. see my stock late 2009 cityX and observe the caliper.

cherry2.jpg
    Last edited by user_deleted; 05-03-2019 at 05:00 AM.

i totally agree with john on the 3 bikes you picked. That red one in Sioux City looks pretty legit. I swear there was one identical to that one for sale in the KC area not long ago, maybe the same bike back up for sale? Not sure where you're located exactly, but there are tons of cheap buells in good shape out there. Example that needs a little love, but might be had for really near $2k(https://lincoln.craigslist.org/mcy/d...840918564.html) They are all going to have some faults. Feel free to post up ones you're looking at and we'll all try and point you in the right direction, but in the end you;ve just gotta pull the trigger and hope you made a good pick!

Heck i might even sell you mine and look for an 1125, but it is by no means a a low miles garage queen lol
    Last edited by BuellyBagger; 04-23-2019 at 12:14 PM.

Great question, as I am in a similar consideration. Which bike would require more maintenance, incl. finding parts.... The extremely clean and low mileage 2004 XB or a higher mileage 2009 XB.

I'm near Omaha, so that's why the Sioux City one was decent as far as distance. I think I'll contact that person if it's still for sale close to the weekend.

Lunatic, that would explain the 2009 XBs that I saw - it seems they all were XB9 bikes.

Is the improved clutch all that much better from the 04-05 XB12S to the 06+ ones?

I would at least talk to the guy with the 09, you never know. After your conversation with him, don't mention price to him just tell him that you will consider his bike if it's still available, along with the price when making your final decision. See his reaction and then adjust from there, he might not have to sell it but, you also don't have to buy it !

That blue one is great ! its worth 6K , offer him its not a low ball offer , what can he say NO , oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by keithd View Post
    I'm near Omaha, so that's why the Sioux City one was decent as far as distance. I think I'll contact that person if it's still for sale close to the weekend.

Lunatic, that would explain the 2009 XBs that I saw - it seems they all were XB9 bikes.

Is the improved clutch all that much better from the 04-05 XB12S to the 06+ ones?
    I'm not sure, but I don't think there were any clutch changes over the years? John will know for certain. All the xb's similarly easy to maintain. The 08+ models have the improved bottom end in the engine which has been outlined in detail in a bunch of threads. I like the pre 08 models because the FI system is a little bit simpler and I find it easier to diagnose any issues. Price aside I would shoot for an 08 or 9. For a bargain, the early bikes are perfectly good machines.
    Feel free to give me a yell if you want a second opinion on a bike in the area I'd be happy to check it out.

I was wondering because I read an article on the Rider magazine website about the 2006 XB12SS, the article said the 2006+ clutch lever is supposed to require 20% less effort for the XB12 models.

But the more I think about it, the more I like that red 2004. Now if I could just find a Cherry Bomb intake cover...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast