Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2003 XB9s wont Rev past 3000 after warm up

2003 XB9s wont Rev past 3000 after warm up

Help.....Please

2003 buell xb9s with Race ECM Factory Race pipe and air filter with the air box cut open.
    Bike was running but a little twitchy on the throttle. I did a TPS reset now the bike will
    not rev past 3000 RPM after warm up.
    I have tried to do the TPS reset agian making sure not miss any steps
    using Buelltooth and ECMDroid and after 5 min of riding it will not rev past 3000 / 3500 rpm
    Or can someone please recommend a shop near Toronto Canada

Thank you

So you are just reading the TPS with ECMDroid while manually adjusting it, yes?
    If you take the time to type out the actual procedure you are doing, I hope to see where you missed a step.

ECMDroid is also a powerful diagnostic tool.
    Whats the AFV? Should be 90-110.
    What do you mean by "won't rev past 3000"? You mean it dies?
    Have you had the airbox apart recently? Not installing the lower lip of the airhorn, sandwiching the baseplate, will do that.

wont rev past 3000 feels like rev limiter kicking in.... Just revs to 3000 and nothing more.
    Steps i did for TPS reset.
    Turned idle all the way to the left checked that it was at 0 degress and snapped throttle 3-4 times.
    selected tps reset and clicked ok. then snaped throtle 4-5 five times. Turned idle back until it was at 4.5
    Started bike. Running good at idle. Let warm up for 3 min. went for easy ride. shifting at 2-3 rmp.
    after 15 - 20 min will not rev past 3k rmp.

Re-did all these steps then went out and wicked it up right away... running great and reving up to 6500. after 5 min of riding. will not rev past 3k

Note.... no check engine or codes when checked with ECM Droid AVF was at 120
    Last edited by Markxb9; 04-23-2019 at 04:40 PM.

Can you watch live data while this is happening? Maybe timing is being retarded or tps isn't changing past a certain resistance when warm.

Just saw the AFV. Its adding fuel, Hows the fuel pump sound. Does it sound different after it warms? Pump could be starting to fail.

Quote Originally Posted by lunaticfringe View Post
    THIS IS ALL WRONG! can't believe you self-annointed ecm gurus missed this glaring error.
    ????? What was my error.....any help would be much appreciated before I send the bike to a shop??????

Lunatic is right! You set your TPS wrong. You need to reread the procedure on how to set your TPS correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by rchuff View Post
    Lunatic is right! You set your TPS wrong. You need to reread the procedure on how to set your TPS correctly.
    Ok are you guys messing with me? I have re-read and went over the procedure as recommended. I got the info from buelltooth.com web site?
    what step did i miss?

I thought the tps reset was the simplest of the adjustments. The only problem i had with it was resetting tps prior to the ecm eeprom rewrite. Also with ecmspy the step does not say to hit reset then snap throttle.

Its connect, veryify connection by snap throttle.
    turn angle till voltage stops reducing which is well beyond 0 angle read which spy says .80 but I get as low as .75 reading then turn 2 extra rotations on idle screw to be sure.
    hit reset, then just adjust back to 5.2-5.6. Turn on bike and then get idle up to 1050-1100. which is actually upwards to 6.5 on my bike, 05 xb12ss.

but after the ecm map write it throws off idle set and generally have to redo tps because cuz of that

Re-did tps last night and bike runs great still for 10 - 15 min then it will not rev past 3500 rpm. Problem must be something other than the TPS.
    I still have no codes or check engine light.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast