Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 2003 XB9s wont Rev past 3000 after warm up

Mark I would hold off on trowing parts at it, its a fools way of troubleshooting.
    Major clue is a temp sensor error code. Use your buellthoth and check engine temp reading, what does it show while bike is warming up and what is it when its acting up? Its an easy thing to check.

A CPS is an interchangable acronym for pre-08 Cam Position Sensor or post-08 Crank Position Sensor, both known to fail with heat.

I agree with Cossack84 that throwing parts at it is just an expensive, time consuming, guessing game. A CPS is cheap though?

Your ECMDroid livedata screen is priceless for diagnosing sensors while the bike is running. Look for anomalies or inconsistent readings.

FYI you don't need to look for a specific "Buell repair shop". Remember these are based on the venerable H-D Sportster engine, not the ECM but the supporting system and sensors are, so any good V-twin shop should be able to help.
    Last edited by Cooter; 05-03-2019 at 05:01 AM.

Update Bike is running great and i hope to put some miles in this weekend.
    The problem was crap in the tank. I removed and cleaned the fuel pump / screen. I also re-flashed my ECU and did a TPS re-set.
    Thank you all again for you help and suggestions.

Like John ( lunatic fringe ) says, these bikes are old and it does seem like a lot of fuel pump related problems are starting to show up along with VR's and stators.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123