Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Penske

My man has some serious coin. Penske shocks ain't cheap.....

I'll find out at the next track day.

What was the stock rear suspension doing to you........ "wallowing around" , "squatting down", and lifting the front end on exit?

If I used 2nd gear the front would lift. At Sonoma, I can usually get away with 3rd & 4th unless I make a mistake. And to be honest, I just wanted a high-end shock. It will be my last hurrah. At 66 years young this bike should outlive me and I don't mind spending a few bucks here and there. When I first got this bike I thought it would just sit in the barn. I got so darn used to vintage bikes I didn't think I would be able to adapt. Wrong. It's very easy to go quick on. Since my Easter track day, I've added a steering stabilizer, Deans exhaust, and the shock. Headed back to Sonoma on the 10th, the day before my wife leaves for Spain. June will be chock full of track days as will be July. I need more tires.
    Last edited by outthere; 06-04-2019 at 11:05 PM.

Idk how well you understand and are able to tune suspension components (I suck at it) but I know how to explain what it's doing and what I expect out of it to a suspension guy. Once you get it where you want it you're gonna feel like you're on a brand new race machine. Let us know how ya make out.

I'm not bad but I'll have an expert at my next day at the track take a swing at it. There are so many variables with this new shock compared to what I'm used to. He charges $40 for half a day. What I'm after is getting the most life out of my tires. If the suspensions off tire life suffer. I would like to get more than 240 miles out of a rear tire. The bike feels balanced in the garage with my bounce test.
    Last edited by outthere; 06-04-2019 at 11:08 PM.

Lol, I hear ya. My big RC is murder on rear tires. Heavy bike with alot of torque and horrendous rear suspension. My gsxr 750 is fully prepped and the suspension is insane, tire wear is not an issue. Just put some new sneakers on it after the get off.20190524_122038.jpg

I have that same tire on a spare with a 55 aspect ratio. If it warm enough I may use it. It's 96 here now.
    Last edited by outthere; 06-05-2019 at 12:02 AM.

Put the fan back on after removing the upper half of the mount. Couldn't get the CEL to turn off without it although I didn't try very hard. We are now track ready. The forecast calls for temps approaching 100. I'll be bringing spare wheels with smooth tires mounted.

Last edited by outthere; 06-07-2019 at 02:03 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12