Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fu@#ing death wobble

Quote Originally Posted by 34nineteen View Post
    "Usually" raising the bike (lowering the tubes) tends to lead to high speed unstability. Usually...

Can you now see the stopper rings (#19) on the tubes? Maybe a PO pulled the rings off the tubes and lowered the front too much? Usually with those in place, the front end can only go down so far... but with the clamps loosened you can slip over them with enough pressure.

I lowered the front of the bike to make wobble go away. Stopper rings were not visible before the adjustment.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    One MM of compression = about 6.2lbs* of weight with stock spring rate at stock sag. So pretty much nothing. The change in rake/trail is four digits past the decimal point. I call BS.

I appreciate a discussion on steering geometry and the theory is correct, but it's only theory in such an infinitesimal quantity. If you start talking in single digit denominator fractions of an inch (because Murica') then... maybe.

Theres NO way a mortal human could tell the difference by raising the forks ONE MM, or that it would affect the handling of a motorcycle in any way.

*rough but close calculation, but really... one mm!? sheesh. Crank up the heater! Its 72* now and I'm more comfortable at 72.0001* hahahaha.

Ok....

https://youtu.be/iWfw56XcBMw

Go run forks all the way up and tell me how steady that bike is at110 mph. Then lower them back down 2mm.
    What a goof.
    Last edited by cossack84; 10-06-2019 at 04:01 AM.

The only goof on here is you.

I'm happy you just discovered suspension geometry and are trying to sound smart, but I'm afraid you will confuse someone into thinking your bad idea might work for them.

Both that Dave guy and I, are trying to tell you about suspension performance and getting the most out of a properly tuned motorcycle. That could include fork height adjustment. Done in a controlled, repeatable environment, by a professional, FOR a professional

You claimed it 'cured a problem' by moving them about half that distance, at half the speed, like you're some sort of savant. You aren't. You are Whack. That is my point.

'Fixing' a steering issue by moving the fork height is really, really, dumb and you would never tell if the forks were moved ONE MM up or down. Theres probably more deflection in the Buell triple than that.

Cocksack84: "Oh my gawsh! I hit butterfly and now my bike handles terribly, so I added .000001 psi of air pressure to one tire and it's soooo much better now!". Who's the goof?

My talk are general consideration and will assume that bikes are fully sound.
    If so, it can be perhaps possible solve a stability issue, by forum, otherwise not.
    As you write here it's supposed you are also able to read too.
    One thing that you can read, without be mislead, is your owner manual.
    It will give you a good idea on how your bike will react when you change your suspension spring setting.
    That's means you change the height of front and rear end on the static standing bike.
    Thus its geometry, rake, trail, wheelbase, height of CoG and even more.
    Hydraulic is involved, but in another way, is just related with the speed the geometry will vary through its range in dynamic situation, giving also dramatic differences.
    Manual is not discussing about pushing up or down fork or changing the length of shock absorber, but if you look for more extreme change in your bike driving moods, and you know what you are doing, it can be done.
    Much wiser 1 mm at a time than a stupid 1/2".
    Everybody had try working on suspension and have enough driving sensibility can tell you, that if maybe not with 0.5 mm, with slightly more you will fell your bike changing.
    Even if it can easily seem impossible, to me also, experience will tell you that.
    Returning to readings there are plenty author that will you give an help on motorcycle dynamics (i.e. Tony Foale)

Instead, to don't be fooled, you must give a different use to special paper where you will print following quote from a fully bloated guy*.

Yup. Exactly. Because it's increasing the rake* and Buells are already pretty maxed out!
    At the time XB born was probably the road bike with the lowest (21°) rake (caster) on the market. So just the reverse of the true.
    Trail 83 mm and wheelbase 1320 mm were also really extreme, directed towards supreme handling.
    Nobody believed should be possible drive a bike with such a geometry over 130 mph and keep it on the road, but she does, and very well when she is ok.
    Stay alert, weight very well what you are reading, somebody is really poisoining you and your buell with his belly gas blowed with his word.

Also usually on a standard set bike if you lift the front, or lower the rear, setting the springs or moving fork itself, you lose handling but gain high speed stability by increasing rake/trail.
    So says books and experience, and also looking at a trial bike rake/trail or a dragster ones can give a smell of it.
    It seems cossack84 solved a stability problem lowering the front, but I suspect that, done the slight 1.5 mm movement and the dramatic improvement, something else could be involved that has been perhaps solved by itself loosening and retighten clamps bolts. Maybe.

Anyway my full compliment to who thinking with their brain and talk with their mouth, and my full dislike to who are using instead respectively their intestine and their ass.

edit:* time to say that's Cooter.
    Last edited by zanzibar; 10-07-2019 at 06:41 PM.

I'm happy you just discovered suspension geometry You clearly did not yet and are trying to sound smart he doesn't, he is just talking, but I'm afraid you will confuse someone into thinking your bad idea might work for them.You are the one confusing people; it's time to stop it

Both that Dave guy and I, are trying to tell you about suspension performance and getting the most out of a properly tuned motorcycle. That could include fork height adjustment. Done in a controlled, repeatable environment, by a professional, FOR a professional Don't tell him anything, he don't need at all your rabbish

You claimed it 'cured a problem' by moving them about half that distance, at half the speed, like you're some sort of savant. You aren't. You are Whack. That is my point. For sure you are worst

'Fixing' a steering issue by moving the fork height is really, really, dumb and you would never tell if the forks were moved ONE MM up or down. Theres probably more deflection in the Buell triple than that.

Cocksack84: "Oh my gawsh! I hit butterfly and now my bike handles terribly, so I added .000001 psi of air pressure to one tire and it's soooo much better now!". Who's the goof?
    My answer is YOU!

CuCuter stop to put your **** on Buell. Stop now, one can be bad with people, but must gain the right with a superior knowledge to share. You are very short of that.
    Last edited by zanzibar; 10-06-2019 at 07:05 PM.

I can see Cooter is making friends again!! Lol!!

I'm just trying to figure out what he said !

I'm happy you just discovered suspension geometry and are trying to sound smart, but I'm afraid you will confuse someone into thinking your bad idea might work for them.

Both that Dave guy and I, are trying to tell you about suspension performance and getting the most out of a properly tuned motorcycle. That could include fork height adjustment. Done in a controlled, repeatable environment, by a professional, FOR a professional

You claimed it 'cured a problem' by moving them about half that distance, at half the speed, like you're some sort of savant. You aren't. You are Whack. That is my point.

.... again run the front of the bike all the way down, See how she does at 110 mph. Then raise it 2mm and come back here.
    Also I was the first one to post about geometry effecting bikes stability on here while you was rambling about it having no effect on our bikes. Quit with your bull, fake engineer.
    You are embarrassing.
    Last edited by cossack84; 10-07-2019 at 12:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by njloco View Post
    The only goof on here is you.
    Don’t you have to make a post about cleaning battery terminals some place?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast