Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: So I found an XB12Ss, and here she is

So I found an XB12Ss, and here she is

So as y'all saw in my last post, I was looking for an XB12S. Well, you can't always get what you want, but sometimes you get what you need.

I drove Saturday and Sunday from Omaha NE to near Minneapolis MN, a little over 350 miles/6 hours each way not including stops. Stayed overnight at a hotel near the seller - an older gentleman (about my age!) who was downsizing his toy collection. All the stock parts that were removed from the bike were included, and he even had the original non-chopped tail. I also got the front wheel bike stand you can kind of see in the pics. I found out quickly that a bike cover is about useless on the highway, so that came off after a while.

I also found out that cheap ratcheting tie-downs are NOT what you want when hauling a motorcycle. Nothing happened, but it was unpleasant to see a strap broken in my rearview mirror. Quickly bought much better ones and was on my way.

Here's a pic of her when I first loaded the bike up:
    IMG_20190428_110056_1.jpg

Later on, with my "tow rig":
    IMG_20190428_162659.jpg
    (I do NOT recommend using a 2-door Wrangler as a towing vehicle very often)

And here's a much better pic:
    IMG_20190428_162707.jpg
    I'll try to get a better pic tomorrow if the weather holds out.

Funny that sometimes we fall in love with the things we hate. I mean, I really, really dislike the "murdered out" all-black look, but look at what I wound up buying - an all-black, "murdered out" bike. I also really didn't want an SS, I wanted an S, but I really like this 09 SS and the handling is close enough that I can't tell them apart. It's real tall in the seat but not unmanageable.

Her name's Betty, BTW.

If you need a reference as to why Betty, here you go.

HA! I violated the first two rules right away. Stopped at Hardee's for lunch and had a panic attack trying to find the motorcycle's keys - then I remembered I never took them out of the ignition.

Congrats on the new ride! Have fun checking her out. Summers on the way!

BTW these are a life changer when trailering motorcycles:

https://www.amazon.com/Canyon-Dancer...74753523&psc=1

Congrats on finding Betty! I agree with not being a fan of the murdered out look...but it does suit the Lightning well. I just sold my Ss...loved it! The '09 in particular was a great model year for the Ss..and it seems to hold its value pretty well. Enjoy!

congrats! I know a guy who lives about 40 mins south of you who can buff all those scuffs from the tarp out lol

Glad you found one. That does explain why it was cold this weekend. Whenever someone buys a new bike the weather goes to S#!t kinda like that when a bell rings an angel gets its wings thing
    Last edited by BuellyBagger; 04-29-2019 at 12:01 PM.

Congrats man. I also only use the same straps John uses, can't stand ratchet straps. I was never able to work those damn things correctly. Recently (past two yrs) have in addition been using the handlebar type Shaughn posted, really good for dirtbikes but on my race bike they have kinda been freaking me out. I feel like they are pulling on the clip ons to much.......

Your bike looks great in black , enjoy it. Here are my tools of the trade, I like my ratchet straps dont know what I would do without them. JMO

straps.jpg
    Last edited by Silverrider; 04-29-2019 at 01:43 PM.

20190120_132522.jpg
    I've done ratcheting and regular cycle straps. Both work well as long as you buy good ones. The soft loops are a must IMO. I put 2 sets of straps on the front of the harleys, because I worry too much
    The handle bar strap dealio would be good for small bikes.

Quote Originally Posted by BuellyBagger View Post
    congrats! I know a guy who lives about 40 mins south of you who can buff all those scuffs from the tarp out lol
    So I got it out in the sun today, and it looks like I need to take you up on your offer! It's not horrible, but yeah, should not have used the cover. Live and learn. I managed to get it titled in Nebraska this afternoon without a problem, so that's nice. Got my liability policy too, it's a whopping $75 a year.

Anyone have experience with aftermarket brake rotors? There's a pulsing when braking, but only at really low speeds like under 5mph. I wish that one site still sold the Fatbar handlebar risers, I really want to get a set.

Quote Originally Posted by keithd View Post
    So I got it out in the sun today, and it looks like I need to take you up on your offer! It's not horrible, but yeah, should not have used the cover. Live and learn. I managed to get it titled in Nebraska this afternoon without a problem, so that's nice. Got my liability policy too, it's a whopping $75 a year.

Anyone have experience with aftermarket brake rotors? There's a pulsing when braking, but only at really low speeds like under 5mph. I wish that one site still sold the Fatbar handlebar risers, I really want to get a set.
    BTW, the rotor "floats" on springs/slider bolts. I'd make sure those are freed up before hucking money at a new rotor. If you do indeed need a new rotor, theres some guy from PA who sells them.

IMO, the SS is a much better bike than the S. But to each their own.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast