Thread: Gapping Spark Plug

Gapping Spark Plug

I'm gonna drop new spark plugs in my bike soon, and was looking through the process and noticed it mentions checking gaps with a wire gapper. Do you guys really do this? I know most if not all spark plugs are pre-gapped, and when I just replaced them on my car I didn't bother because I didn't want to mess up the iridium. Also, any recommendations on spark plugs? Was going to go with NGK iridium.

I went with the NGK iridium , I looked at the gap just to make sure looked good and popped the in. no issues !

Iridium plugs are all pre-gapped because you will break off the tiny Iridium electrode if you pry on it wrong.

Like SR I check them anyway with a 99¢ gapper from Napa. But haven't had to adjust any.

My experience with NGK 8 and 9 plugs, is that the gap, out of the box, is not the Buell recommended 0.35. It is closer to 0.25.

same as mine.

All mine have been good at 0.35? You can adjust it if you have to, with the little hole in the tool that's meant for that, but the point is:

Do NOT pry against the thin brittle electrode!

I just did this, one was gaped correctly, one wasn't just be real careful when checking the gap and if necessary, when adjusting the gap. Also check your NGK plugs and make sure you have the little screw on tip for the plug wire to fit on correctly, mine didn't have them and when I called a local shop he said none of the NGK plugs he checked had them on or in the box !