Thread: Dogboners...maintenance, replace or upgrade?

Dogboners...maintenance, replace or upgrade?

A visual inspection on my engine dogbone brackets seem fine, nothing cracked or broken, the bushings seem in place and not dried out. Question is should they have any freeplay or should they be firm with no give at all? Is there a service that can be done to help to longevity. Any upgrades?

Inactive
    Question is should they have any freeplay or should they be firm with no give at all?

it's a heim joint so it has a very slight amount of movement. that's it purpose. flexibility.

Is there a service that can be done to help to longevity.

a little shot of motorcycle chain wax when servicing the bike wouldn't hurt.

Any upgrades?

NO

Would it be better recommended that they are taken completely out to inspect them or is it a obvious when they fail?

Like our esteemed Lunatic said. Leave them alone, you will have no doubt if you need to change them.

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by TeXB12s View Post
    Would it be better recommended that they are taken completely out to inspect them or is it a obvious when they fail?
    sir: i commend you on taking the initiative to occasionally monitor and inspect all the engine mounts. like brake fluid, they are mostly over-looked and forgotten about till a serious problem arises. all the mounts are what i would call "maintenance-free" but checking them during a full service procedure is a great idea. the mount that needs the closest inspection...tends to wear the hardest...and can, under certain circumstances fail, is the front mount that connects the cylinder head to the frame. wheelies gone wrong....whoops and jumps....an extremely low warm idle speed....all accelerate its wear and can ever break the mounting bracket portion. see pic below: a new example has substantial distance between bolt head and bracket with rubber showing. one that is severely worn and in need of immediate replacing will have the bolt head touching the bracket.

xb front mount.jpg

I spray some good silicone on all the rubber mounts and lines on the bike whenever they are accessible. What is even better is Linseed oil, only problem is, there could be an interaction with any adhesive's used though, I've never ran into this problem yet. I use linseed oil on the rubber door seals on all my vehicles, just make sure to wipe off all excess before closing the doors or trunk, otherwise the linseed oil will effect any painted surface it comes in contact with.

Thats not a dogbone ^^^ that's the front engine mount, right under the steering neck, but yes, look at it.