Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Helmets

Helmets

I’m in the market for a new lid. I’d like to keep the price point around $300. I’m looking for something that is quiet(by Buell road noise standards), comes in hi-viz(yes, I’ve gotten that old), and can accommodate any type of communication device.

I currently have a bell qualifier and it is by far the biggest hunk of crap I’ve ever owned. Even with ear plugs the road noise is ALMOST unbearable.

Appreciate any and all feedback.

HJC RPHA ST KNUCKLE or RPHA ST70! Whatever you buy MAKE SURE it has the Pin Lock system. You will be calling me and thanking me about Pin Lock!20190509_175846.jpg20190509_175955.jpg And a pair of them to protect your manicure....lol. Had to do it Carlos
    Last edited by wickedchop; 05-09-2019 at 10:02 PM.

I have always liked speed and strength gear.

Thanks Wally!
    Glad to see you’re still you after your little “get off”. Seriously, glad your gear protected you! That being said, I’ll seriously consider the HJC since you endorse it! That’s actually one brand and model I was looking into.

AND... ....My pretty princess painted nails are protected by a sweet set of fieldsheer race gloves I scored off amazon for 50bucks!

Speed and strength?
    What model? They have a lot of stuff that isn’t really my style but function trumps form in my world.
    Last edited by Chicknstripn; 05-09-2019 at 10:13 PM.

Thanks Carlos. Haven't heard the name Fieldsheer is yrs, I own two street jackets. Good stuff they make. 108mph isn't really a lil get off...lol. I promise you will be happy with the HJC lid, if ya want I'll email ya pics of mine.

How about Tecknic?
    When was last time you hear of that brand?
    I just put $180 into refurbishing a jacket I’ve owned for over 16yrs!
    Yea, I’m that guy.

And that jacket saved my ass(back in 2003!) when I went into a blind corner at 120mph(riding like a dumbass on a road I wasn’t familiar with!) and couldn’t scrub off enough speed to avoid the low side. An Indy car-like tumble with bike parts flying through the stratosphere ensued!
    Walked away with a sore ankle and a broke pinky.

I have no problems w Teknic whatsoever.....

Revzilla is selling the Shoei GT Air for a nice discount at the moment and they are pretty awesome. But it's a little above your price range.
    Jack-O-Lantern
    2006 Buell XBRS LightningBolt
    http://www.buellxb.com/forum/album.php?albumid=129

I don’t like that the GT Air and Neotech helmets are designed for one specific communication system. Also, they’re about double what I want to pay for a helmet. Especially one that I’m not a fan of.

A Shoei GT air is a great lid, and I think theres even a Blem on Revzilla right now for cheap? Check the date code! I've got one from them that was 3 years old

A very high quality helmet is worth every penny for comfort, quiet, and safety. Don't forget they last 5-7 years so a little more $$ up from divided by 7 really ain't that much more.

Do a little research regarding the 'classes' of helmet construction. Plastic, vs fiberglass, vs Carbon, shell sizes, etc.. a little research will go a very long way on getting a really nice helmet for a reasonable cost. The comfort and quality will pay you back in spades! More $$ doesn't always get a better product so research is important or you'll spend $1000 for a $400 lid, the race-replica paint jobs not-withstanding

Everyone has an opinion because we all have a different head, so it a thing you must try on. It's till hard to tell in a moto shop vs, 200 miles of 80mph wind blast but you'll be close, don't be afraid to take apart the insides and sand the EPS slightly if you find your new bucket has pressure points. It can be the difference between a go-to helmet and a piece of shelf-art.

Personally I am a function over form kinda guy, so reputation is important, and I avoid the whiz bang hey-lookit-meee scull stuff like Icon and S&S but I think both brands are getting better YMMV. Shoei, Schuberth, AGV (upper end), Arai, Suomy, have all been good to me and have race experience to make a better product, not just copy what the cool kids are doing.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast