Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: High mileage 12s

High mileage 12s

Hi everyone, used to play alot with 60-90 hondas, an and old sportys. But i did just came across a 2007 xb12s with over 20000 miles on the clock. Is there anything in particular to look out for at this amount of mileage? Major leaks, shift forks? Stator? Or should it be avoided all together. Thanks.

Well, any of that can go wrong if it wasn't taken care of maintenance wise. Look closely at the frame for any damage that could have been covered up.
    Look at the front and rear engine mounts.
    Before you start it, check the battery voltage, then check it while starting, should drop to about 9 volts, let it warm up then rev the engine up to, I think it's around 2500, voltage should go up to 13 1/2 to 14.2.
    Check the fan, make sure there is no oil on it. If there is oil on it could mean the rear seal is leaking or that they put too much oil in it.
    If you can, raise the wheels off the ground and spin them, make sure the spin freely with no grinding and that the seals are intact.
    Check the head stock bearing for same and excessive play.
    Make sure she stays running while idling without blipping the throttle, they don't like to be blipped.
    Check the belt and the sprockets for wear, while your checking the bearings and rotating the rear wheel, listen for grinding noises from the idler pulley.
    Pull the seat off and check that the wiring has not been hacked up.
    Take it for a spin.

P.S. 20K is not a lot of milage for these bikes.
    Last edited by njloco; 05-10-2019 at 11:45 PM.

Awesome thanks man. 2900 for a 07 xb12s. Everything seems fine, checking it out in person tomorrow

Totally what NJ said. 20K is nothing for these bikes. It's not a 13:1 compression, aggressive valve timing, 13K redline engine. Will run on scraps for years with only the minimum of maintenance.

Yeah I got over twice that on mine and she has powa.....20k is fresh, it's the years you have to worry about. As in did it sit neglected for periods of time?

NJ has some real good advice. Only thing I would add is that you pay attention to the fuel pump as it primes when the bike is power up, run switch in the “on” position. The fuel pump should not be excessively loud, change in tone or duration as it primes, or continue to make audible noise once the bike cranks up.

Let us know how the initial shake down goes.

Good luck

Awesome thanks for all the info. After running the VIN number, I believe that this is scg and not a xb12s

I am officially a Buell owner

Congrats to you

Congrats, good luck with it.

Pics when you can.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast