Thread: Axle broke in half!!

Axle broke in half!!

Trying to remove axle in my sons 2003 firebolt and it broke in half. Looking for ideas on how to get this out of the swingarm now. I have soaked it and tried to turn it by just grabbing the end with channel locks, no luck, it will not budge. Any ideas for removing this from the swingarm? Thank you!!

Did you loosen the pinch bolt under the rear right of the swing arm(under the axle) prior to attempting to remover the axle?
    I’ve never heard of anyone having an axle break in half while trying to remove it.
    Can you post any pictures or give us any other info?
    Like how much of the axle actually came out?

You might have to use a hacksaw or something similar to cut the axle. This should help you get the wheel out of the way, then you could very carefully use a hammer and punch/chisel to get the remaining portion of the axle to thread out of the swing arm.

Without seeing what you’re dealing with that’s the only idea I have for now.

Good luck

thanks for reply chicknstripn. Yeah you pretty much got the idea. yes i did loosen the pinch bolt. We then proceeded to remove the axle with force as it was tight, used a bar for leverage which actually just helped in breaking the axle! I know stupid move on my part, but it is where I am at. So I am at the point where I was going to hacksaw it off and leave that 1/2 to 3/4 inch left on the threaded side. I was hoping I could then get a wrench on that thing and turn it after I get the wheel out. already tried with wheel in, but just not much room to move. Those threads are locked in there tight! I have read a thread on here where somebody heated it up? I am thinking maybe that is an option? Someone who has been down this road I figured could help. thanks again, i will know better next time! First time replacing this tire on a Buell.

Make sure once you have everything back to normal that you ALWAYS use a little anti-seize on the axle threads. Sounds like that did not happen the last time the tire was changed. With the axle being steel and the swing arm aluminum, if no anti-seize was used, those two parts have probably corroded as one.

Take your time trying to fix that mess. An axle is A LOT cheaper than a swing arm!

Good luck!

Wow , I have seen a front one broke in half owner turned wrong way. But not a rear, Can you shoot us a pic to see what you are working with ?

subscribed.
    Jack-O-Lantern
    2006 Buell XBRS LightningBolt
    http://www.buellxb.com/forum/album.php?albumid=129

Wow! I've bought and restored some pretty haggard and abused Buell's, but I have never heard of that

The axle is pretty hard so channel locks won't bite in very well. Ya, heat may help if its corroded or some genius put red loctite on it, but if its cross threaded you are still out of luck. Very warm is all you need, HOT= paint damage.

If you want to save the swingarm, try welding a junk 1/2" drive socket on whats left of the axle for non-slipping leverage you can attach a breaker bar too, but dang man.