Thread: Case Splitting, this is gonna be fun. 3rd gear problems

Case Splitting, this is gonna be fun. 3rd gear problems

Alright ladies,
    my 2009 XB12R with about 20k on it likes to violently jump in and out of gear in 3rd. crunch*clatter*bucks*

only happens after engine breaking in 3rd, or when i preload the gear.

Im 85% sure that its the teeth on the dog gear or the outer teeth on 3rd, because if it was a bent fork, id probably be having problems in 2nd as well.
    clutch-less downshifting is all fun and games until someone gets hurt.

regardless... i'm either going to have to split the case, or just deal with it.
    (anyone want a 2009 buell XB12R? )

who has experience splitting the case?
    could you give me a list of any special tools i will need (if any), parts i will need to replace in order to put it back together (gaskets etc), along with any tips?

im trying to decide if i want to deal with this or not.

Thanks guys!

well if you are doing clutchless shifts that's why you are having the problem or the op was doing them.

Quote Originally Posted by rchuff View Post
    well if you are doing clutchless shifts that's why you are having the problem or the op was doing them.
    not wondering why (i've owned up to that) , just need to fix it.

I’m not a lady but I’ve split my cases a time or two.
    As far as gaskets are concerned, you’ll need a complete engine rebuild kit. Most kits don’t come with pushrod cover base gaskets so you’ll need to be real gentle so you can reuse those.
    Special tools: you’ll need the cam locking tool, the front sprocket locking tool, and the primary locking tool. If I’ve missed anything go to www.buellmods.com and download a service manual to confirm process, parts and tools.
    When my third gear went out I had to replace, the shift forts(ALL 3), 3rd gear, fifth gear, the roller bearings for said gears, and the associated shift dogs.
    There is a special tool and press required to remove the transmission from its associated engine case. I did not need these since my local HD was super cool and pressed my transmission out of the case(and back in) free of charge.
    Oh and you’ll also need a too for the neutral detent switch(I think that’s what it’s called) when putting things back together.

You’re looking at a ton of labor and a minimum of $500 in parts and sealants.
    This job is NOT for the faint of heart.

But by God will you feel like a motorcycle legend when you’re done! I mean seriously, what kind of idiot goes through all the trouble of rebuilding a bike that’s over 10yrs old and have a blue book value of less than 3k!

Who in their right mind!

Quote Originally Posted by Chicknstripn View Post
    I’m not a lady but I’ve split my cases a time or two.
    As far as gaskets are concerned, you’ll need a complete engine rebuild kit. Most kits don’t come with pushrod cover base gaskets so you’ll need to be real gentle so you can reuse those.
    Special tools: you’ll need the cam locking tool, the front sprocket locking tool, and the primary locking tool. If I’ve missed anything go to www.buellmods.com and download a service manual to confirm process, parts and tools.
    When my third gear went out I had to replace, the shift forts(ALL 3), 3rd gear, fifth gear, the roller bearings for said gears, and the associated shift dogs.
    There is a special tool and press required to remove the transmission from its associated engine case. I did not need these since my local HD was super cool and pressed my transmission out of the case(and back in) free of charge.
    Oh and you’ll also need a too for the neutral detent switch(I think that’s what it’s called) when putting things back together.

You’re looking at a ton of labor and a minimum of $500 in parts and sealants.
    This job is NOT for the faint of heart.

But by God will you feel like a motorcycle legend when you’re done! I mean seriously, what kind of idiot goes through all the trouble of rebuilding a bike that’s over 10yrs old and have a blue book value of less than 3k!

Who in their right mind!
    Who in their right mind!
    im still trying to decide if im going to be that idiot or not Mr. Stripn! haha!

Thank you very much for your reply, if you know of anyone that is looking to sell any of these tools used, let me know.
    ill probably have the dealer press out the tranny as well, that sounds like the most expensive tool on the list.
    just downloaded the manual again, thanks for the link.

what lead up to your 3rd gear going out?
    sounds like this isnt your first rodeo, so how likely is it that i will do more damage if i continue to ride it?

It will continue to get worse, for sure.
    When my third gear started skipping when trying to throttle out of a corner, or while down shifting into a corner, that’s when I decided I had to fix it.
    You can find a DIY alternative for most of the tools. Just do some research cause I can’t remember which ones. I know the neutral switch tool, and the primary locking tools have had DIY alternatives made. A socket will work in place of a neutral switch tool(just can’t remember what size), a 3” brass door hinge will work as a primary locking tool. I bought a cam locking tool and a clutch spring compressing tool. I also had to buy a few insanely large sockets. There are a lot of little things that will add up.
    Like I said, $500 will be a good number that you must understand has the possibility of growing quite fast. It all depends on how resourceful you are and what other things you decide to “fix” while you’re in there. I wouldn’t go cheap on anything inside the transmission. Once you button it back up you don’t want to go back in there!
    Get with your dealer about helping you press the trans out of the left half of the case. That’s a first step. Cause without that, I don’t know how you’ll fix it.
    Good luck