Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ugh - new oil leak

Ugh - new oil leak

It’s always a good idea to keep your shop floor clean. Went into the garage and noticed a new spot under the chin spoiler of my Uly. It has a weeping rear base gasket that needs to be changed and I had every intention of power washing the entire engine to ensure my rocker box gaskets weren’t leaking as well.

Motorcycle is a 2008 XT with 25,000miles.

One of the oil cooler lines going into the oil cooler is soaking. The oil has accumulated in the chin cowl and is dripping on the floor

It’s obvious to me where the problem is, I was looking for suggestions on a fix. Of all of the Buell leaks this is a new one for me. I’m hoping for a loose line and thread seal, possibly an o-ring?

My fingers are crossed for you.

check oil lines and oil filter.

If it’s a loose line that’s easy!
    Did you check the lines?

If your base gasket needs to be replaced you’ll have to replace the rocker box cover gaskets anyway. If it’s just your rocker box cover gaskets that’s easy. Shouldn’t be more than a Saturday in the garage.

Let us know what you decide you need to fix.
    Between this bike and your 1125 you’re gonna be a wrenching fool!

The 1125cr is still a mystery but head assemblies on flea bay are cheap enough in case of...

There is nothing wrong with the oil cooler assembly, the front head gasket is leaking. I can watch drips of oil when idling. There doesn’t seem to be any escaping gasses and the bike is running great. Rocker box gaskets are bone dry, I did the, a year ago. The rear base gasket is wheepy but not wet.

Ordering a James gasket kit, I should memorize that part number. Time to rotate the motor.

One bike is up and running again! The headgasket failed at the line up dowel that doubles as an oil passage because I didn't used the O-Ring. The James Gasket Kit (top end kit) has old school head gaskets (not MLS) that require the line up o-ring. I replaced the base gasket, valve seals and rocker box gaskets. For good measure I also did the intake seals because the throttle body had to come off.

Interesting Point...
    The Buell will run just fine with the exhaust and intake push rods swapped... Somebody, possibly me swapped them at some point in the bikes life. The push rods don't have any paint on them, but I did measure them. The exhaust push rod is half a hair taller than the intake push rod. The front cylinder had a darker spark plug (the front cylinder was swapped) but that could just as easily be anything else. When I put the bike back together it started right up. The BUTT DYNO hasn't noticed any significant increase in HP.

Did a TPS reset, bike backfired on decel for a night and now it seems to be working as good as new.

I was NOT recommended they be swapped. They had accidentally been swapped. My poor attempt at humour obviously made it sound like some bizarre experiment, now that I re-read the post.

I was trying to say, I wasn’t robbed of any significant amount of HP because the push rods were swapped

I’m sure the bike wasn’t running at 100%, in my opinion if it didn’t matter, HDMC would have made them the same length to save money on spare parts
    Last edited by pdksh; 06-02-2019 at 12:54 PM.

Did you try turning it off and putting it back on again?

LMAO - the IT crowd?

Quote Originally Posted by pdksh View Post
    LMAO - the IT crowd?
    Glad to see someone with a sense of humor... good luck with your bike.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast