Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Noisy Girl

Hybrid View

Noisy Girl

I spent the long winter doing some maintenance on the 1125cr and finally have been out for a few rides.

The bike is a 2009 cr with 22,000KMS, stock muffler, K&N filter

Work done:
    - valve lash adjustment
    - drilled rotor (300lbs torque and red locktite)
    - EBR clutch actuator
    - removed solenoid from throttle bodies
    - removed Harley wire harness

Bike goes like a scared dog, power wheelies in almost all gears. The onboard voltmeter reports 13.5volts with fans and high beam on. I suspect my battery is toasted but I’m going to re-check my cables/grounds.

This engine is NOISY! I did err to the high end of the valve lash spec. From idle to 5000rpm - clack clack clack. After 5000rpm the wind noise dampens everything out. It’s definitely top end noise and I don’t feel there is any abnormal vibration. I can take a video and I’m going to do the oil check procedure today. I did a new filter and 3 quarts of 30-50w amsoil.

Am I paranoid or should I order an exhaust system to drown out the noise? It took 2 seasons and 3 air cooled Buell’s to get over the racket of the evo 1203cc. But this thing makes my Uly sound like a 125cc Honda

Well what ever is going on, it just got much worse. While driving home the bike stalled dead and won’t turn over. The starter just clicks and I get a voltage error on the dash. Just called for a ride. Looks like I’m going to have a crumby long weekend

Quote Originally Posted by pdksh View Post
    Well what ever is going on, it just got much worse. While driving home the bike stalled dead and won’t turn over. The starter just clicks and I get a voltage error on the dash. Just called for a ride. Looks like I’m going to have a crumby long weekend

My CR was noisy, but it wasn't a ticking or clanking sound. It was more of a gear/chain whine noisy.... but no more than a Japanese OHC bike.

So, the $3000 question is.... will it turn over by putting it in (try 5th or 6th) gear and rolling on the ground? If the starter clicks and you are getting a voltage error, it could be just a failed battery....

It’s something in the top end. The engine is seized. I took the stator cover off and the stator and charging rotor are fine. I was suspicious that the stator or rotor had come loose.

The rear cam chain appears ok

I suspect a valve or something in the valve train. Time to rotate the motor and tear the valve covers off

Your Uly is leaking oil and your 1125 is seized up!
    Dang!
    You’re having a bad week!
    Sorry....

Let us know when you discover the root cause to the possible engine failure

Yes, going to buy a Honda!

Quote Originally Posted by pdksh View Post
    Yes, going to buy a Honda!
    Can’t tell you how many times I’ve said something very similar.

Unless you had a piston seize in a bore, I can’t imagine something in the top end causing it to seize.

Dump the oil and check for metal shavings. If it truly did seize, it’s likely the bottom end. Usually when the top end goes, it ends with a bang.

Sorry to hear about this and hoping for the best!

Engine isn’t totally seized, I can give the crank a 1/4 turn. I suspect a piston is hitting a bent valve (if I’m lucky)

Engine oil is clean, little shiny bits but no chunks, haven’t pulled the screen

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast