Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 46

Thread: Noisy Girl

  1. #21
    Senior Member Cooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Crawling up your skirt
    Posts
    6,699
    Quote Originally Posted by 34nineteen View Post
    Aircooled conversion?

    Oops! HAHA 34:19, pdksh had so many issues with all his bikes falling apart at the same time I got confused.

  2. #22
    Senior Member pdksh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    227
    I was thinking an air-cooled conversion may run a little smoother :-)

    Im down to one sick motorcycle now. I left the best for last. I do have to rotate my car tires and my floor jack is under my 1125. Does that count?

  3. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    1,196
    Quote Originally Posted by pdksh View Post
    I was thinking an air-cooled conversion may run a little smoother :-)

    Im down to one sick motorcycle now. I left the best for last. I do have to rotate my car tires and my floor jack is under my 1125. Does that count?

    Any news on the engine rebuild/swap?

  4. #24
    Senior Member pdksh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    227
    i Have sourced a used 2008 motor with apparently 5000kms but getting ahold of the seller is challenging. I'll give him a week to get his act together, then ill flee bay a head, cylinder and piston...

    I do have a question about timing if I rebuild the head. Since the engine was stuck I didn't bother using the crank locking tool or the cam locking tool for TDC. The bottom end makes two full rotations per one rotation of the top end, BASIC 4 stroke therory. When you completely tear down a head you need to make sure the front and rear cylinders are 100% in sync with each other and with the crank and the stroke. Is it the power stroke or exhaust stroke... I'm sure the service manual does a terrible job of describing this. If the used engine doesnt pan out, this will be my next challenge.

    I always wondered how does ECM know when to spark IF the cam posistion sensor is on the bottom end of the motor... Does it spark twice? Once per crank rotation? I believe old Shovel Heads and other traditional points ignition engines did spark twice per the full 4 stroke process. Just my random musings.

  5. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    1,196
    Quote Originally Posted by pdksh View Post
    i Have sourced a used 2008 motor with apparently 5000kms but getting ahold of the seller is challenging. I'll give him a week to get his act together, then ill flee bay a head, cylinder and piston...

    I do have a question about timing if I rebuild the head. Since the engine was stuck I didn't bother using the crank locking tool or the cam locking tool for TDC. The bottom end makes two full rotations per one rotation of the top end, BASIC 4 stroke therory. When you completely tear down a head you need to make sure the front and rear cylinders are 100% in sync with each other and with the crank and the stroke. Is it the power stroke or exhaust stroke... I'm sure the service manual does a terrible job of describing this. If the used engine doesnt pan out, this will be my next challenge.

    I always wondered how does ECM know when to spark IF the cam posistion sensor is on the bottom end of the motor... Does it spark twice? Once per crank rotation? I believe old Shovel Heads and other traditional points ignition engines did spark twice per the full 4 stroke process. Just my random musings.

    Since the bike has separate coils, it likely is a "single fire" setup.

    I tried downloading the 1125 service books from Buellmods, and was getting an error message about the file being corrupt. Luckily, I think I have them on a jump drive somewhere. If you have the same issue, let me know and i'll bounce you over what I have.

    There was another motor somewhere on social media. If this doesnt work out, I'll see if I can backtrack my steps and find it again.

  6. #26
    Senior Member pdksh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    227
    I ordered parts from ST. Paul HD and e-bay. Replaced the front cylinder jug, head, piston, timing chain (may have stretched), base gasket, head gasket and new piston rings. Starting to button it up now, have had house guests for the past two weeks. It's been hard to steal out to the garage. I have setup the static timing, just double and triple checking the manual. I used the rear cylinder as the point of reference, the front cylinder was jammed up pretty good. I have to check the valve lash, hopefully I'll be adding fluids and get this thing running for the weekend.

  7. #27
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    1,196
    Pics or it didnt happen. Sending positive thoughts your way!

  8. #28
    Senior Member pdksh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    227
    Oh its happening
    Almost ready to start it up,
    Painted the muffler while it was off. Man Buell stock mufflers are FUGLY!!! Did they get highschool students to weld these things up?

    Fingers crossed
    IMG_2100.jpg
    IMG_2103.jpg
    IMG_2104.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by pdksh; 08-14-2019 at 03:06 AM.

  9. #29
    Senior Member pdksh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    227
    Its now an official love hate relationship!!!

    topped up the oil and coolant and left the charger on over night. First thing this morning I pressed the starter button and she started right up!
    I wished it was that easy
    I left the crank inspection cover off and in about 10 seconds of running, half a quart of oil ran onto the floor. I expected a trickle BUT!!!
    Mopped up the oil, pressed the starter button and off she roared to life again
    After 10 minutes of running she stalled dead and posted "COMM ERROR" and "THEFT ERROR"
    I WISH someone was stealing it at this point! I traced every wire and reseated the ECM and the Frame to pod connectors, still receiving COMM and THEFT errors. No Love.
    At one point it attempted to start but behaved like it had a dead battery. The battery is OK (13v) and the cables were tight. I traced the main ground wire to the frame (runs above the swing arm) and found the ground wire "not tight". I added a star lock washer and tightened the main ground.
    Turned the key, the bike cycled up, touched the starter button and VAROOM!

    Not 100% sure if the COMM/THEFT error is resolved but the dash board reported a 14v and I measured 14v at the battery at idle. I did the charging rotor upgrade and removed the Harley wire harness in the spring so I'm not expecting any voltage issues.

    This bike has had me in the fetal position, rocking and crying. My wallet is a lot lighter. My knowledge about the liquid cooled Rotax motor has significantly improved. I'm not sure if this motorcycle has lost it's will to live OR if it just hates me. I'm considering taking it to family counselling. This has not been a pleasant BUELL season for me, and for some insane reason I'm considering buying an EBR1190RX!!! I totally need to go to counselling.

    I'm very greatefull to the BUELL online community, the good folks at buellxb and badweatherbikers have been an incredible aid. Both mechanically and encouraging. I have found a 2008 1125r with 1000 miles... hmmm... I'm sold on the 1203cc Thunderstorm motor, but I want the power that only the liquid cooled 1125/1190 can provide.
    Is there a cure for being a BUELLAGIN!

    The SAGA continues...

    oh an the oil that leaked out of the inspection cover totally ruined my fresh muffler paint job!!!

    IMG_2106.jpg

  10. #30
    Senior Member pdksh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    227
    Quote Originally Posted by 34nineteen View Post
    Since the bike has separate coils, it likely is a "single fire" setup.

    I tried downloading the 1125 service books from Buellmods, and was getting an error message about the file being corrupt. Luckily, I think I have them on a jump drive somewhere. If you have the same issue, let me know and i'll bounce you over what I have.

    There was another motor somewhere on social media. If this doesnt work out, I'll see if I can backtrack my steps and find it again.

    Did some research and I found a thread on BadWeatherBikers that someone stated that there is no CAM sensor (yep) only a CRANK sensor. The ECM measures the speed of the crank and the crank is slower on the intake/compression stroke than the power stroke. The ECM then calculates the appropriate spark mapping.

    Sounds Legit to me!



Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •