Thread: 2009 XB9SX Lightening

2009 XB9SX Lightening

Need help! I need to know to open fuel tank, do I turn key to left or right to open cap?

Anti-Clockwise 90*. Try a little downward pressure to help. Or use a little graphite on the key and work it in and out if the bikes been sitting for a long time.
    Last edited by Cooter; 05-19-2019 at 05:55 PM.

Yes I know how to open a gas cap, lol. Must have corrected and I didn't proofread Or maybe the whiskey? I edited.

It's bad advise to use wet lubes in an exposed lock cylinder. Maybe in your house? But never a motorcycle. Specific lubes are meant for specific things, I suggest using the right one for the job.

Not only are gas tank lock cylinders exposed to the elements, but they are vertically aligned, allowing dust and junk to collect past the ineffective covers and stick to the greasy lube. Probably what started this issue in the first place!

Use a dry lube like graphite, it is meant for this exact job

Lunatic... It won't matter if the cap is on ether way, you dork. Anti-Clockwise is still anti-clockwise. You must need more coffee

If the lock is so corroded that the key breaks off, you can fix it yourself easily.

1) Mark 7/8" up from the tip of a 7/16" Left-hand drill bit in a good 1/2" drill. Every garage needs a set of those!

2) Drill very slowly right down the middle of the lock cylinder. Hold on tight! and watch closely, it might unlock the cap in this process. If you see it start to turn... Stop! and take the cap off. You're done. Go to step 5.

3) If that doesn't do it, keep drilling down to your mark (7/8", no more!) and blow out the junk thats left.

4) You should see a green slot in the bottom that a big flat head screwdriver fits in. Thats the slot you turn anti-clockwise, a wrench on the hex of the screwdriver shaft may help you turn it if the corrosion has gone that far, but most of it is plastic anyway.

5) Then go to e-bay and buy a gas cap for $10 and have it keyed. Win!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/03-10-BUELL...sAAOSwl1xcVzq6

Don't worry about Lunatic, he's not mad at you. He doesn't understand that all caps is YELLING!!! He should try the bold, italic, or underline buttons (4,5,6 from the left) for emphasis to a point. People don't usually take well to being yelled at for a simple question

It's not anti- clockwise. It's counter clockwise you retard! You people in Cali are anti- everything, anti- freedom, anti- capitalism. Lol!!

But I HATE clocks! And because I hate them,everyone has to give them up!

Thats the way it's done here

I'm leaving. I'm going to Pennsylvania to live with Lunatic

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    But I HATE clocks! And because I hate them,everyone has to give them up!

Thats the way it's done here

I'm leaving. I'm going to Pennsylvania to live with Lunatic
    Let me know how that works out! Lol!!

Mine was very hard to turn CCW to open, I was concerned that at some point at a refill it would break, I took it apart and greased the insides ,now its a piece of cake CCW with ease. Lubing in the key hole was not helping at all.

Last edited by Silverrider; 05-19-2019 at 08:46 PM.