Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Most common/important Preventative maintenance?

Most common/important Preventative maintenance?

As far as maintaining my bikes i never cheap out or delay. But this is my first buell, the 04 xb12s. Maintaining these bikes are night and day from im use to. So aside from changing the fluids or replacing wheel bearings, what are some of the more important routine/preventative maintenance to stay on top of?

Proper clutch adjustment and primary chain adjustment. Make sure to lube clutch and brake cable. Flush and replace the brake fluid once a year.
    Aside from engine and primary oil.... ....that’s it.

Nothing over the top.

Now considering that most Buells on the road are between 16 to 10 years old there are some NON routine things that may need attention. That all depends on the life the bike has led.

Because of age, UV degradation etc, I would replace the drive belt between 40-50K.

I replaced the OE clutch cable (I had been lubing) at the same time and was astounded at how much easier it was to pull! Don't forget to lube the little end in the clutch lever where they always break! IMO they always break right there because they stick in that hole and start to twist with every pull.

With age and even super low mileage I'd put in a fuel pump before I started going places far away. They live a hard life. PM Lunatic.

Motor mounts can degrade, steering neck bearings can corrode, fork oil and seals, and I can't believe I'm the first one to say "check your grounds", LOL.

Pull off the seat and look at the fan, make sure it's not oily, put in an O2 sensor at 40k, take out and clean the speedo sensor and neutral sensors, take off the airbox base plate and see if the throttle shaft has enough play to be leaking, check the intake seals...

...Wash it... Really well, by yourself. With no distractions besides the ice cold beer that is a must, while washing a motorcycle. It's an intimate thing, and invariably your hand or eye will come across something that needs attention. Take that bottle of spray Armor All and chuck it far away in the trash, it has no place anywhere near a motorcycle.

A clean bike, is a happy bike

All very good above info ^^^^^ ,they nailed it !!

Ya ive already replaced a battery because i kept having to tighten the cables which lead to the terminals cracking. Im in the process of hard-wiring my battery and just rerouting the disconnect.

discuss the header bolts. I know there is no 100% solid fix to keep them from snapping, but whats the best way to help extend the life?

If your header studs snap while removing them, use a drill guide:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Harley-Buel...-/140910484607

And when you replace them use anti-sieze for Christssake!

TeXB12s = Teabag?

Quote Originally Posted by GregoXB View Post
    TeXB12s = Teabag?
    I like your enthusiasm and vague reference with a bit of a "1st base & vanilla humor". Its corky, like a PG rated movie. ���� texb12s=teabag..wait till i tell the boys over at the racketball court about that knee slapper..good stuff and good times. ...So back to the header studs snapping..what im battling with and leaning to try and correct or maintain is the overall stress and beating that the bike and age does to itself..like the signature shakey engine the weight, the torque and the effects it has on the engine mounts, the dogbones, the front and rear isolators. When do they typically (just based on average riding/commuting) start to fail? I have a lot to prove to the ppl in my local riding community after i bought a buell. Im going to assume everyone in this buell forum understands what i mean in my last statement.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast