Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Replacement lightning headlight lens

Replacement lightning headlight lens

Just replaced high beam with hella 55w OEM bulb, and noticed today the lens had some fogginess. Upon closer inspection the lens was actually warped as well. I can't say for sure this happened after the new bulb, as I hadn't looked at it closely. The previous bulb was some kind of bright white silverstar or something. Does anyone know where I can find just the lens? I'd rather not drop another 100-150 on an entire assembly.

The lens itself isn't a replacement part. Your crazy high wattage bulb melted the one you have and will melt the next one too.

Get a whole new assembly, toss the 55w bulb, and put in a 35W something-you-like.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    The lens itself isn't a replacement part. Your crazy high wattage bulb melted the one you have and will melt the next one too.

Get a whole new assembly, toss the 55w bulb, and put in a 35W something-you-like.
    whoops, thought the 55w was stock...

I should have stated the silverstars that were in before were from the previous owner. I thought I was reducing my risk by putting in the basic yellow 55w H7 bulbs I thought were stock...

This is a perfect example of why one should check the shop manual or do a search here prior to just changing something out. The bikes have been around for sometime now and one can ever assume whatever part is presently installed, is indeed stock !

The good news is, I'm sure one will come up for sale.

55w is the stock H-7 that goes in there. Whatever you put in there is so hot it melted the lens according to your first post, I was just giving a suggestion to a solution

Reducing what risk? Has this been a problem before?

All 55w bulbs should be equal output according to the 55w spec (but are definetly not). I assumed the 55w one you put in was a super-bright-la-dee-da one? But then re-read your post says it was a regular replacement. A Sylvania SilverStar bulb is a good regular style bulb, not sure why it would melt anything.

Sounds like the housing was melted before, from a previously installed la-dee-da bulb? There are ways to heat and separate the lens (to repair the reflector), but you'd still be finding a whole assembly to replace it anyway.

I have played with many solutions to the notoriously bad OEM Buell lighting, LED, HID, and Halogen with mixed results. The CR loved HID (oncoming traffic did not!), and when the STT had a normal headlight housing, It liked LED's but only a few types of them. Some were useless, others worked pretty well.

Not sure what's going on with your bike, but a 35w replacement bulb will keep the lens from melting

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    Reducing what risk? Has this been a problem before?

All 55w bulbs should be equal output according to the 55w spec (but are definetly not). I assumed the 55w one you put in was a super-bright-la-dee-da one? But then re-read your post says it was a regular replacement. A Sylvania SilverStar bulb is a good regular style bulb, not sure why it would melt anything.

Sounds like the housing was melted before, from a previously installed la-dee-da bulb? There are ways to heat and separate the lens (to repair the reflector), but you'd still be finding a whole assembly to replace it anyway.

I have played with many solutions to the notoriously bad OEM Buell lighting, LED, HID, and Halogen with mixed results. The CR loved HID (oncoming traffic did not!), and when the STT had a normal headlight housing, It liked LED's but only a few types of them. Some were useless, others worked pretty well.

Not sure what's going on with your bike, but a 35w replacement bulb will keep the lens from melting
    Thanks for all the info. I was guessing it was a silverstar before, but it could have been brighter. It was a bright white one, and the low beam was out, so yeah it was probably one of those that melted it. As for the 35w, any recommendations? The options seemed much more limited. I noticed when buying my hella bulbs that there was another 55w option that was called "long life." Wondering if this might be safer. These were very inexpensive bulbs, so I don't know if that's just because they lack the fancy sylvania/philips marketing, or if they're a lesser quality.

Quote Originally Posted by lunaticfringe View Post
    Thanks for all the info. I was guessing it was a silverstar before, but it could have been brighter. It was a bright white one, and the low beam was out, so yeah it was probably one of those that melted it. As for the 35w, any recommendations? The options seemed much more limited. I noticed when buying my hella bulbs that there was another 55w option that was called "long life." Wondering if this might be safer. These were very inexpensive bulbs, so I don't know if that's just because they lack the fancy sylvania/philips marketing, or if they're a lesser quality.

sir: what you're experiencing is actually not all that uncommon in the cycle world...specifically the XB series of buells....particularly owners who have done the "both bulbs on for high-beam" mod. like shaughn mentioned the style is a very common automotive H7 and the wattage both bulbs from the factory is 55W. something like the sylvania silverstar does not produce significantly more "heat" to cause a housing problem. what DOES produce excess heat and CAN cause problems...is leaving the headlight "on" with the bike stationary for an excessive amount of time....as when "tuning" the ecm or some other sort of static work requiring the ignition switch to be on. it's fairly rare and takes time, but have seen the lense get so hot that it can't be touched with a bare hand. and that is exactly why i always tell owners/tuners to remove the light fuse in the fuse box before performing such work. and the headlight bucket assy. is sealed as shaughn mentioned. there is no factory part # for just the clear transluscent lense.
    Thanks, it could have been that too. I definitely took awhile to do my first TPS reset, and can't remember if i had high beam switched on (previous owner modded so high beam has both lights on, running light is still just low). I also was doing the reset at night in the carport next to the bedroom, so I had draped a towel over the front so it wasn't shining where the baby was sleeping. That couldn't have been good for heat, lesson learned. Just out of curiosity, why would both lights on cause melting? Wouldn't it be the same heat on the single lens as if it were set up normally?
    Last edited by RidetheLightning; 05-23-2019 at 07:34 PM.

Additional heat is exactly that, and it sounds like we found the answer.
    Nothing wrong with the dual headlight mod under normal conditions, you can swipe your hand over a candle, what happens if you leave it there?

$99 used:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/2003-2010-B...oAAOSwxChc0tIM

$135 NEW: But 12% off with MEMORIAL12 discount code this weekend!
    https://sphdonline.com/products/y072...ng-ulysses-b5u

Have a great holiday

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast