Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2008 Buell XB12Ss -- Die at idle

Quote Originally Posted by samuelseggs View Post
    Whats your location... I have spare TPS you can have it.
    I'm on Prince Edward Island Canada.

The TPS OHMs will get measured tonight. As well as Idle Air Control getting cleaned out.

Adjusting the AFV values I will do once I get the IAC cleaned out, injectors leak tested, and intake leak test with carb cleaner. If those all check out, I will then adjust AFV and take it for a test ride.

The reason I was posting voltages for the TPS is because it keeps setting off a low voltage fault in my ECU. I did the wiggle test and I couldn't see anything wrong with it.

Unfortunately, I don't think cleaning my IAC will solve my AFV issue. But tonight I will be screwing around with the bike so we will see.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    I am convinced the ECM taking 25% of fuel out of the bike for some reason is a big issue and yes, a leaky injector could cause the AFV to drop like yours is.
    Quote Originally Posted by samuelseggs View Post
    You are a genius...
    My AFV readings was 78.2 so I reset to 100 the Bike ran very well, but after a while the readings went back to 96.1

Does this mean I still have to check for a leakage at the TB??
    No, a value below 100 for GEGO or AFV indicates overly rich from 14.7-1 and a correction is being made by the ECM to remove fueling. A value above 100 is correcting for leaner than 14.7-1, a leaking intake manifold gasket would cause a value above 100 as more air than intended is entering the motor.

Only 3 reasons (actually 4) I can see causing an overly rich condition (real or indicated).

1.) Injector not fully closing as cooter states.
    2.) Faulty/dying 02 sensor sending an incorrect reading (bike is not actually richer).
    3.) Faulty fuel pressure regulator flowing more than factory regulated pressure to the injectors then intended (fuel map now becomes overly rich). and
    4.) If someone messed with the fuel tables with software or changed the EEPROM.

EDIT:

5.) AND if it is a DDFI2 bike and the TPS has been reset to the wrong butterfly degree (zero'd wrong) the ECM will go off the fuel table values you wrongly set the TPS at.
    Last edited by lowkey; 05-29-2019 at 09:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cocoabutterlover View Post

Previous owner also did a big bore kit by boring out stock cases; paired with Jardine exhaust and Race ECU with a custom tune. Buelltooth measured AFV rear @ 75-80%. I tried resetting to 87% once to see if it made a difference, but it went back down. but for now, I just want to focus on mechanical parts and connections; not ECU tuning.

Previous owner claims the bike dyno'd at 135hp and 130 torque.
    The above two statements would be my biggest concerns. Obviously the ECM has been molested. Go to www.buellmods.com or the buelltooth website and download a known GOOD stock or RACE map. I would start with a stock map just to see what happens.

Do you have any paperwork that helps you identify the actual size of the motor you’re trying to tune? If indeed your engine has had the “cases bored” that would mean you have at least a 1450cc engine. Without knowing what engine you’re trying to tune you’re seriously guessing. If indeed your engine has been bored over that much it would make more sense that with stock injectors and stock fuel pressure regulator you’re not getting enough fuel and you AFV is super high. Not sure why you’re showing lean.

My 2cents, there are entirely too many unknowns regarding the engine.

And if your bike ever was able to run long enough to show those numbers on a dyno, you have the most powerful naturally aspirated xb12ss I’ve ever heard of!

Give us some more info on the engine, and the “custom” tune if you can.
    Last edited by Chicknstripn; 05-29-2019 at 09:39 PM.

When I heard his claim my suspicion went up don't worry. I may run it at the Harley dump in town just to see the numbers they get.

How do I post pictures? Do I need a host site separate to buell xb?

Quote Originally Posted by cocoabutterlover View Post
    How do I post pictures? Do I need a host site separate to buell xb?
    In quick reply at bottom of thread it would be the picture icon 3 in from the right in the options bar across the text box, you can load from a website other than buellxb.com or load off your computer/phone local hard drive, sizing requirements can be a PITA though you can also make an album on this site and host them that way then link them into a thread.

Quote Originally Posted by lowkey View Post
    though you can also make an album on this site and host them that way then link them into a thread.
    Did not know that trick. Thanks lowkey!

So heres my OHM readings.

R/W to GRD : 4.24K
    Throttle Closed: 6.55K
    Throttle Open: 1.85K

I also noticed my fuse & relay box behind battery was quite hot after my short (30 minute) test ride. Is this normal?
    Last edited by cocoabutterlover; 05-30-2019 at 11:24 AM.

Inactive
    I also noticed my fuse & relay box behind battery was quite hot after my short (30 minute) test ride. Is this normal?

NO. classic case of corrosion that needs addressed immediately.

Grounds? I haven't touched my grounds under the seat yet.

Do you guys just clean the contact with a wire brush or is there some sort of lubricant/solvent that you recommend using?

I was just going to go the wire brush route.

I did notice that there was dirt and crud by some grounds. Is there a ground on top of the spark coil pack? I noticed one of the bolts, the most rearward was not looking great.

Thanks again for taking the time to help me out.

Something like this applied after cleaning grounds up?

Last edited by cocoabutterlover; 05-30-2019 at 03:04 PM.

Checking your grounds is one of the first things you should have done. Wire brush is fine, I use roller chain spray after I'm done, it has an anti-corrossive in it. The other thing you should have done is check your battery under load, I also put the roller chain spray on the battery terminals and leads.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast