Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: 2008 Buell XB12Ss -- Die at idle

Quote Originally Posted by njloco View Post
    Checking your grounds is one of the first things you should have done. Wire brush is fine, I use roller chain spray after I'm done, it has an anti-corrossive in it. The other thing you should have done is check your battery under load, I also put the roller chain spray on the battery terminals and leads.
    Battery checks out. Just had the stator and regulator replaced. The stator was in pieces. Dealer tested the battery.

I will update once I get the grounds cleaned properly. It was first on my list 'til the bike died on me the first time since the stator wasn't giving me juice. Won't be able to clean them tonight since I'm helping a friend move.

Quote Originally Posted by lowkey View Post
    No, a value below 100 for GEGO or AFV indicates overly rich from 14.7-1 and a correction is being made by the ECM to remove fueling. A value above 100 is correcting for leaner than 14.7-1, a leaking intake manifold gasket would cause a value above 100 as more air than intended is entering the motor.

Only 3 reasons (actually 4) I can see causing an overly rich condition (real or indicated).

1.) Injector not fully closing as cooter states.
    2.) Faulty/dying 02 sensor sending an incorrect reading (bike is not actually richer).
    3.) Faulty fuel pressure regulator flowing more than factory regulated pressure to the injectors then intended (fuel map now becomes overly rich). and
    4.) If someone messed with the fuel tables with software or changed the EEPROM.

EDIT:

5.) AND if it is a DDFI2 bike and the TPS has been reset to the wrong butterfly degree (zero'd wrong) the ECM will go off the fuel table values you wrongly set the TPS at.
    Thank you,

Okay, I have a spare 02 sensor I'll fix and test again, is there a way I can test for injector not fully closing or faulty pressure regulator. My bike is a 2009 xb9sx DDFI3 BUEZD firmware.

Any idea where i can get fuel map for my firmware?

Quote Originally Posted by samuelseggs View Post
    Thank you,

Okay, I have a spare 02 sensor I'll fix and test again, is there a way I can test for injector not fully closing or faulty pressure regulator. My bike is a 2009 xb9sx DDFI3 BUEZD firmware.

Any idea where i can get fuel map for my firmware?
    Yes on testing the injectors if you have software (ECMSpy/ECMDroid/TunerProRT), pull injectors from the fuel rail and with their harness clips still plugged in place each injector in an empty clear water bottle. Use one of the mentioned software features to "test front or rear injector". Watch visually the spray pattern and for drip as it cycles about 6 times. If you are still unsure or want an expert analysis send them to someone like injector dynamics.

As for pump/regulator testing you will need to buy/rent a pressure tester. The issue is getting it to work with the stock fuel line as the pump end is a brass block I've seen only on the Buell, the other end you are dealing with fuel rail end and the tight 90* end of the line to which I've found no "kit" to work with. My solution was to buy a new Buell fuel line and cut my old one up to get the brass block and replacement 90* from the parts store along with regular rubber fuel line. I rent a test kit when needed and just put the buell ends on it for testing. I may consider lending the ends out but do not want the parts to not make their way back to me.

Here is another way to get a rough estimate on pump/regulator flow that I did while waiting for the new line to show up and know for sure.

No software required to do this test.

1.) Disconnect the fuel line from the fuel rail and place 90* end into a measuring cup (I used a 2cycle mixing container as it has a tight measuring scale printed on it).

2.) With stopwatch or smartphone cycle the red toggle button on right hand grip control which will cycle the pump to prime. (IIRC I did this 2 cycle times to get 5 seconds of fuel flow and got 2.4oz of fuel).

3.) Next we do some math to figure out the flow for 1hr as this is what the manufacturer posts for fuel flow of the pump.

2.4 oz @ 5 seconds

28.8 oz @ 60 seconds

1728 oz @ 1 hr = 13.5 gallons per hour

Above is for my pump and is very close to the rated flow in GPH from the MFG. Keep in mind the GPH rated is just the pump without regulator so results will be less GPH because of the flow restriction.

Above is for the pump/regulator used in a 2007 XB12STT so you will need to do the legwork on the pump and regulator used on an 2009 XB9.

Cleaned off grounds. Didn't really make a difference. But it's good for peace of mind. Plus I found two wires that were not crimped at all under the headlight. So I did those up proper.

So I finally got to spray some carb cleaner into my intake seals. The very first spray the RPM climbed but then no matter how many times and which location I repeated it at. I could not get it replicated. Either way. New seals are on the way.

Hoping this will fix my biggest issue. Also looking at getting a pump rebuild kit from Lunatic; even if I don't need it now. I'll likely need it in the future.

I took some pictures but am currently having difficulty connecting my phone; but if I succeed. I'll let you guys see the questionable state of the bike up close.

So I finally picked up new intake seals.

Here's what the previous owner had done.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Part 2

The ratchet with pivoting head in the last photo helped a lot. Eliminated the need for a stubby wrench.

Also, that bolt that attaches to the coil igniter bracket and the throttle body is a bitch. Couldn't get it re-tightened.
    Last edited by cocoabutterlover; 06-09-2019 at 02:27 AM.

Final pictures of the intake seal job.

I did grease up the new seals when installing.

After the initial test ride I noticed that the bike still didn't run 100%.
    Error code came back again for TPS low voltage/short to ground.

I cleared the code and did the wiggle test. No change. I then re-did the resistance readings. Look for next post.

4.13 Kohm across power to ground
    4.65 Kohm across power and return (throttle closed)
    1753 ohm across power and return (throttle full open)
    4.77Kohm when returned back to closed.

When I took it out for a ride I did noticed that the idle dropped below 1000 rpm briefly, and whenever I cranked the throttle just a little when taking off, the engine did not sound strong, it sounded almost asthmatic a bit.

So my question is... what is my next step? Samuelseggs offered up his TPS. Do I replace the TPS sensor itself?

I also noticed that my resistance readings are opposite of what was posted earlier on in this post. Is that attributed to the leads being hooked up reverse? or is something ****y.

All helps appreciated.

Last edited by cocoabutterlover; 06-09-2019 at 02:37 AM.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast