Thread: Useful tweaks to improve a Buell for free

Useful tweaks to improve a Buell for free

The front brake on my 03 XB9s did not have a smooth progressive action – instead the brake lever at the limit moved in a series of tiny steps with creaking noises – not confidence inspiring or ideal for control. I suspected semi seized pistons in the caliper or master cylinder but a look at the caliper showed all pistons moving smoothly so pointed to the master cylinder. Removed lever and could push in piston with my finger and action smooth and piston returned smoothly – so not MS piston. The brake lever pivots on a bolt and has a cam like surface that pushes on the end of the piston. The surface on the end of the piston was fine, but the surface on the mating lever “cam” was a tiny bit rough. Used fine wet and dry paper on a sheet of glass to return it to perfect curved flat surface – removing the tiniest amount of metal and then polished to a mirror finish to give the smoothest action of “cam” to MS brake piston. Greased pivot and where “cam” pushes piston end and reassembled and the front brake is transformed – smooth and progressive. An excellent return for 10 minutes work.
    Any other owners with suggestions for quick/easy improvements for a Buell?
    Paul
    West Sussex, UK.

#2 Useful Tweak ... Gear Change – Perfect action fixed for less than a $ £ Euro

The gear change lever on my 03 XB9S did not have precise feel and indeed could wobble about – not ideal for precise gear changes or avoiding missed gears.
    The gear change comes out of the engine case and then via 2 adjustable rose joints (a good approach) to the end of the gear change pedal that you move with your foot. This pivots on a bolt.
    When I looked at mine all the play was between this bolt and the gear lever – the rose joints were all perfect. I took it apart as I thought I would just make up new bushing and whilst doing this used feeler gauges to measure the side play. Then I had a search through all my old thin washers and shims and found a few that slid onto the plain unthreaded part of the bolt and up against the inside of the bolt head. One was too thick and when I tightened the bolt it gripped the lever and you could not move it.
    Eventually found the perfect one that removed all the play and did NOT restrict the movement of the lever and when moving the lever by hand had the precise feel of a bolt action rifle. Sorted. Just to be certain I took a spanner with me on the first ride in case a hot engine changed any of the tolerances and tightened things up – it didn’t. So 1,000 miles later still works perfectly and the phosphor bronze I ordered to make a new bush is so far unneeded.
    I suspect each bike will require a slightly different thickness of washer/shim to get a perfect fit – my one was 0.5mm thick.
    Paul
    West Sussex, UK.

Paul post pictures for those of us with no imagination.

I also have the issue with notchy brake lever. gentle braking is fine. REally on the binders and yes its not confidence inspiring. Mine is an 03 as well.

Hi RB - it is really worth doing the mod I mention - 10 minutes and you will have progressive braking.