Thread: Seeking XB9 ECM help

Seeking XB9 ECM help

Hi, I have an '08 XB9 that I purchased a couple months ago.. New to me with 15.6K on the odometer, and with some help from lunatic fringe was able to identify that it is equipped with a drummer exhaust. In a plurality to smooth out the ride,I purchased a Buelltooth dongle, a Buelltooth Baro sensor, and a K&N air filter. I have not installed any of these items yet, as I don't want to cause a lean out situation. I know some of you might say " just contact Buelltooth, and download a map".. But when I contacted Bluetooth, they said there isn't a "XB9 / drummer/ K&N" map available. There is for XB12's , not XB9's ..
    So my ask of everyone is, - does anyone have any experience with, or possession of maps for a drummer exhaust with K&N filter on an XB9? What advice could you give? Can I just use the XB12 map? Won't that hurt the intake? Would a different map work close enough with this set up (Buelltooth has maps for - Buell race kit / D&D exhaust / Buelltooth exhaust - all with K&N filter) ?
    Also, does anyone have experience with the Baro sensor? I purchased it with the thinking that it would help me in my location. I'm in NV, at the base of Tahoe, currently @ 4,212 elev. With a quick 20 min ride to the top @ over 9,000ft , so having a barometric sensor, not just a closed loop O2/AFV system, would help immensely, right ??
    Anyhow, if anyone has some info, tuning advice, or maps, please let me know.. Thanks in advance!

Contact Tim at IDS Inc.

Does it run well now? Yes? Leave it alone. Please, just leave it alone.

Does it run poorly now? Yes? Diagnose it.

THEN if you diagnose ECM tuning issues (which are RARE)...

...Contact Tim at IDS

Yes the Baro will help being up live where there are big elevation changes.
    As asked, how does it run? Whats your AFV at?

Another for Tim @ IDS.

The type of questions you're asking, follow the links. Understanding mapping

You'll need to add a Baro sensor only if you are running an Open Loop tune such as the ones from Buelltooth.com. Open Loop tunes cannot compensate for elevation so that's why you need to add a Baro sensor to subtract fuel when altitude increases.

A stock-type Closed Loop tune uses the output of the engine (info from the O2 sensor) to adjust the mixture, that would include any elevation change, air density, leaky seals, engine wear, etc.

*Oversimplification Warning:

Open Loop is reading from a locked fuel map. Any changes such as engine mods, air density, engine wear, need to be calculated by dataloging what the engine is doing currently (that map written and loaded to your ECM), then it needs Baro to know where the bike is running.

Closed loop simply reads the mixture that the engine is putting out and adjusts the input accordingly, several times a second.

Buell DDFI-2 and 3 are fairly rudimentary. It can only adjust so much and when it does it uses a big hammer (AFV, global map + or -). Thats why you need to load a tune for a muffler change from stock, even running a CL tune.

IMO, IMO, IMO, you don't need a specific tune for a specific muffler when running a CL tune. They are all so close to the same the ECM can adjust enough. You should add a tune when changing from a stock muffler to anything aftermarket.

Ok, ok.. So what I'm taking away from this is the Baro sensor isn't going to help my setup, ..currently? But it could, if I ran an open loop tune? And as far as I know.. It's running ok, Idk... Like I said, I'm new to Buells.. It could be running like crap compared to what some of you have set up, lol!! It starts quick! (Like.. With in the first three cranks of the starter cycling). It doesn't have any idle issues.. Idles right at about 1-1.1K/rpm. It takes it's time warming up in the morning though, about 5-8 min, is that bad? The belt is in great shape, no slop in the axles, no warping of the brakes. No exhaust leaks that I can tell/see/hear. The only issue I've come across, was pointed out by lunatic fringe.. And that was the only thing holding my exhaust can on was ONE of the rear straps, and the torca clamp (but that was fixed within days.. Only cuz sphd takes forever to ship).

Sorry, got off topic.. As far as my AFV .. I do not know. I got the Buelltooth dongle and connected to simply find out what firm ware version I'm running. I'm leery of delving too deep in fear of irreversible damage.. I know.. Then I shouldn't mess with it, right? But that's not ok, I would like to be more fluent in this, and unfortunately that means getting in there. I'm not looking to make crazy power gains, I'm looking to smooth out, and prevent it from running too lean with a better flow air cleaner, and the exhaust that's equipped. However, I don't know if the previous owner actually put a new map on it when the drummer exhaust was installed. Looking at the ECM, it looks like the original, and nothing engraved or stamped on it. During normal riding on deceleration it pops..like crazy.. So my questions were related to the things I've read on the forum about other members installing new tunes on their bikes to correct this due to them installing intake and exhaust enhancements. And the remedy that was expressed on this forum was to get a Buelltooth and tune it appropriately. So I went and purchased . Maybe I jumped the gun in buying the Baro sensor. But on the Buelltooth site, it details an option of closed loop with Baro compensation to make more efficient fueling at altitude. But It's not like I'm dead set on installing it.

Last edited by Senior_Jeife; 08-07-2019 at 05:20 AM.