The front brake on my 03 XB9s did not have a smooth progressive action – instead the brake lever at the limit moved in a series of tiny steps with creaking noises – not confidence inspiring or ideal for control. I suspected semi seized pistons in the caliper or master cylinder but a look at the caliper showed all pistons moving smoothly so pointed to the master cylinder. Removed lever and could push in piston with my finger and action smooth and piston returned smoothly – so not MS piston. The brake lever pivots on a bolt and has a cam like surface that pushes on the end of the piston. The surface on the end of the piston was fine, but the surface on the mating lever “cam” was a tiny bit rough. Used fine wet and dry paper on a sheet of glass to return it to perfect curved flat surface – removing the tiniest amount of metal and then polished to a mirror finish to give the smoothest action of “cam” to MS brake piston. Greased pivot and where “cam” pushes piston end and reassembled and the front brake is transformed – smooth and progressive. An excellent return for 10 minutes work.
Any other owners with suggestions for quick/easy improvements for a Buell?
Paul
West Sussex, UK.