Thread: belt snapped

belt snapped

i have the 04 and up belt on my 03 lighting i used an aftermarket belt it has like 3k miles on it and just under normal driving doing the 2-3 shift it snapped.any ideas why that would happen?

Only guesses, got pics? I would only buy an OE part, something that important isn't worth saving a few buck on IMO, but you probably agree with me now

How hard was it to install? SUPER tight? How are the rear wheel bearings?

wheel bearings are new wasnt a problem going on/but i think it was a falcon belt lasted 4k/they ordered a belt from S&S .i hope it wasnt an aligment issue after they did the gaskets including rocker boxes.i drove it like 20 miles after that? they have 2 days before ihave to load it for bike week/buell made belt replacement pretty straight forward /the only 2 guys that do anything to my bike both were occ top mechanics.im dropping it off today with even a new idler wheel.maybe its just a bad belt/?

Quote Originally Posted by sandman3577 View Post
    wheel bearings are new wasnt a problem going on/but i think it was a falcon belt lasted 4k/they ordered a belt from S&S .i hope it wasnt an aligment issue after they did the gaskets including rocker boxes.i drove it like 20 miles after that? they have 2 days before ihave to load it for bike week/buell made belt replacement pretty straight forward /the only 2 guys that do anything to my bike both were occ top mechanics.im dropping it off today with even a new idler wheel.maybe its just a bad belt/?

2003 used a different belt and pulleys than 04-up. Its not just the belt size, but also the tooth pitch. 03 bikes can use the 04- later belt, but you need the 04-up pulleys and parts.

Great catch 34:19. That would be a serious issue if someone just put a later belt on an early bike.
    I guess I assumed he had the right pulleys for the '04-up belt and thats why he mentioned it? Isn't the '03 belt and pulleys obviously narrower as well?

Thats exactly what we're both saying too. Unsure if the OP knows that...

Are you mad we didn't invite you to prom?