Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fan is not turning off

Fan is not turning off

When the Fan started is not turning off only if you switch off the engine and switch on again (Red button).

Any ideas how fix it? Normally fan turn off by itself when you switch off the engine and remove the key.

Thanks in advance for your help !

Quote Originally Posted by Route0766 View Post
    When the Fan started is not turning off only if you switch off the engine and switch on again (Red button).

Any ideas how fix it? Normally fan turn off by itself when you switch off the engine and remove the key.

Typically, the fan will run for about 30 seconds up to a couple of minutes depending how hot the motor is. Sometimes it seems like much longer than what it actually is. I believe the parameters of when the fan turns on and off can be changed through ECMDroid or Spy.

On my bike, I realized when the fan WASN'T turning on upon shutdown, that I had a problem. I expect my fan to at least run for a couple of minutes if the bike was fully warmed up.

34, (sorry, don't mean to jack this thread), what did you do to fix having your fan turn on at shutoff?

Quote Originally Posted by Route0766 View Post

the fan logic is programmed into your ecm.
    the ETS in rear cylinder head triggers the ecm.
    12volt power is constant to the fan assembly when key is on.
    ecm provides the ground to complete the fan circuit and activate it.

depending on your ecm logic, rear head temp, and year of bike.... the fan can run for up to 1-3 minutes when motor turned off
    a fan that keeps running without shutting off has either found its own ground source thru a short....the ETS switch is bad...or the ecm has gone bad.
    check for historical fault codes: 14...52....53....54....55
    Last edited by lunaticfringe; 06-05-2019 at 12:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jl551c View Post
    34, (sorry, don't mean to jack this thread), what did you do to fix having your fan turn on at shutoff?
    I noticed there was an issue when the fan WAS NOT turning on at shutdown.

The problem turned out to be a bad head temp sensor.

Quote Originally Posted by 34nineteen View Post
    I noticed there was an issue when the fan WAS NOT turning on at shutdown.

The problem turned out to be a bad head temp sensor.
    Once again, sorry to jack the thread.
    34, so it was never coming on, even when the engine was running, but you only noticed the fan wasn't running when you shut the engine off?
    The reason I'm belaboring this issue is because the fan on my Uly hasn't been coming on at shutoff, but the fan runs while riding. My SS fan sings for a minute or two every time I shut it off.

Once again, sorry to jack the thread.
    34, so it was never coming on, even when the engine was running, but you only noticed the fan wasn't running when you shut the engine off?
    The reason I'm belaboring this issue is because the fan on my Uly hasn't been coming on at shutoff, but the fan runs while riding. My SS fan sings for a minute or two every time I shut it off.
    It may have been turning on while I was riding, but I never noticed. I just realized one day that the fan didnt turn on after I shut it off (and it was summer in Phoenix). Most of my riding is at speed, no traffic with few stops and the lights tend to be pretty quick. At that point, the bike was fairly new to me, and I was unwinding some of the PO's mods and catching up on maintenance.

IIRC some bikes have a fan logic that turns the fan on automatically either above or below 30mph when the comfort kit is installed. Since your bike is a Uly, and the comfort kit was designed for it (as I understand it), maybe you have that option turned on. I think you can disable that in ECMDroid.

Here is a link to what may be whats going on:

https://www.buelltooth.com/fan-settings.html

Last edited by 34nineteen; 06-05-2019 at 11:12 PM.

Hmm, ok. Thanks for taking the time to answer.
    My fan works with the ECM Droid Fan Test, but I can't recall it coming on at shutoff. I think I'll check the Temp setting via ECM Droid.

Hmm, ok. Thanks for taking the time to answer.
    My fan works with the ECM Droid Fan Test, but I can't recall it coming on at shutoff. I think I'll check the Temp setting via ECM Droid.
    Also check the Speed Based Fan Control checkbox on the last page of that link.

Quote Originally Posted by 34nineteen View Post
    Also check the Speed Based Fan Control checkbox on the last page of that link.
    Will do, thx..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast