Thread: Advice on Touch-up Painting

Advice on Touch-up Painting

Got a smallish scrape on the underside of the fuel frame. Would someone offer some advice on how to do a touch-up paint job? I found the paint from St. Paul HD in bottle or spray can. One of my concerns is there is a texture to the frame that I won't be able to recreate.
    damage 3-12-19 right side IMG_0100.jpg

Paging BuellBagger...

I would scuff it, mask off the engine, and dust it with the spray paint.

hey hey! cooters on it. Wash and dry the bike, clean the repair area with wax and grease remover. Buy some green 3m masking tape and some masking paper(dont use newspaper!!). take off all the easy to remove adjacent parts,mask the rest. sand the bare spot with 320 to feather it into the old paint,(clean with W&Gr) dust a little aerosol self etching primer on that. when that dries give it a quick sand in that area with some 600 to smooth it out. then thoroughly scuff the entire area to be painted with a red scotch brite payin special attention to the nooks crannies and edges around your masked off items. Clean again with Wax grease remover. Do your final masking. Apply 3 medium wet(final coat slightly wetter) coats of your paint. let it dry and enjoy. I would suggest you paint the entire upper frame section as opposed to trying to blend in the aerosol paint. Maybe do both sides of the bike for a uniform appearance even.

If that sounds like way too much work, get the touch paint. Shake it up spray it in a cup, brush some on that little spot and call it good. Its a tiny spot and most people would never notice it....

" most people would never notice it.." except all of us, and if I ever get out to Colorado, I'll be looking for that bike and that spot !

Now that is thorough advice. Thanks BuellyBagger.

Yeah, the short story is the scrape occurred during delivery. None of us noticed the scrape when it was delivered because it was in the evening and dark. Plus, the driver "forgot" to bring a ramp to offload from the back of his truck (the bike was suppose to be a trailered). Thank God, I had an extension ladder. About 15 minutes after he left, I noticed it - called the company. Said they'd take care of it. Haven't heard from them since.

Probably leaning towards touch up, and go big if I repaint the bike at some point. Heck, I just got it and would like to ride it for a bit.

All the best.

Quote Originally Posted by 1776Brigade View Post
    Now that is thorough advice. Thanks BuellyBagger.

Yeah, the short story is the scrape occurred during delivery. None of us noticed the scrape when it was delivered because it was in the evening and dark. Plus, the driver "forgot" to bring a ramp to offload from the back of his truck (the bike was suppose to be a trailered). Thank God, I had an extension ladder. About 15 minutes after he left, I noticed it - called the company. Said they'd take care of it. Haven't heard from them since.

Probably leaning towards touch up, and go big if I repaint the bike at some point. Heck, I just got it and would like to ride it for a bit.

All the best.
    Hey, no problem! I wish I could've been a fly on the wall watching u guys try and unload that thing! Lol what a cluster f#%k. Ride it and enjoy it work on it this winter is my vote

X2 to that advise ^^^^^