Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Track days...,apparel....input...advice...

Track days...,apparel....input...advice...

Looking for some input here. Tracks days are open. Never been to a track event yet but that is soon to change.

Hows it usually go down? anything good to know before hand?

I'm Gonna need a track wardrobe.

Looking at a trackday in may at the Ridge in Wa. Hopefully I can get ready in a month.

PM me for my number and I'll walk you through EVERYTHING on the phone. I also have a suit for.sale.

If you have never been, sign up for a newbie event and rent a 250cc bike (with suit, boots, gloves and a coach) and get crash insurance. See if you like it and if you can keep from crashing. Then spring on the gear and bring your baby to the circuit.

Do whatever WickedChop tells you to do

Track days are fun and addicting, and also very safe. Much safer than the ride around town. Theres no cross traffic, gravel, cops, stop lights, fences, pedestrians, etc. The rules will be posted on their website and will differ slightly from place to place.
    The beginner class is exactly that and you will have a large variety of bikes, enduros, Harleys, and newbie riders looking for a safe place to practice. The pace is whatever you want it to be so any bike you take is fine and typically no passing in the corners is allowed so no one gets surprised. If you get stuck behind a really slow rider, just ride through the pit lane and by the time you're back on the track, they will be way ahead again

On a Buell there isn't much 'track prep' to do, make sure it's in tip top shape though:
    Good tires with tread that aren't OLD,
    New brake fluid flush, at least 1/2 pad life left,
    throttle returns solidly
    no leaks
    Good full oil and 91 octane gas
    put duct tape over the wheel weights and tape or take off all the lights and mirrors
    Bring:
    5 gallons or more gas, you'll be surprised how fast you run through a tank!
    Shade/ big fan
    WATER!
    Sammiches
    hopefully a friend for help and pics
    Tools to tighten loose stuff (It IS a Buell ya know... so your shifter will fall off)
    The bikes KEY (don't ask)

For you, check their website but you'll typically need a SNELL approved helmet (not DOT and not more than 5 years old), one piece leathers (some allow 2-piece as long as the pants zip to the jacket), gauntlet gloves and boots with ankle protection.

Get there early to make the riders meeting so they can go through the rules/ flags/ and safety protocol.
    Every hour they will to 20 minute sessions of each class, you will be TIRED by noon if you do every session and no need to do them all, as the day goes on people leave and the track opens up nicely.
    The safety riders in the neon shirts are there for YOU. Don't be afraid to ask one to follow you around and you will get a HUGE amount of free advise
    Walk around the pits a talk to people too, everyone is a friend there and everyone likes to talk about bikes!
    You'll be nervous. Take your time, make sure you get lots of sleep the night before, keep your head clear. Its super easy once you have done it once, but the first time out is daunting.
    Enjoy the new addiction! Your skill set will increase exponentially and make you a faster and safer rider right away

Thanks Shaugn and that was some great info you gave him! I like to make two very strong suggestions to any first timer. #1 go see a track day before you do a track day! That way you can go to the riders mtg, see where tech is, see where you can pit comfortably, etc. This way you're not scrambling and your head is semi clear when you finally do go. #2 DO NOT ride your bike to the track trailer it! If you get off and the bike is not rideable how are you getting it home? You will be beat to death physically and the ride home is gonna be no fun. Do not look behind you on the track, no one else behind you that is faster is your problem! They have to get around you cleanly and comfortably. Learn and STAY on the race line that way you are predictable to the faster riders so they know exactly where to get around you. Get your machine ready early in the week so Fri night all you have to do is load up and then go back in the house and relax for the evening, making repairs the night before never go well. Bring a tire gauge and ask what pressure front and rear is good for YOUR brand of tires and set that pressure every session at first call. Bring a bicycle pump, you do not need a $1000 compressor! If you drink Gatorade cut it 50/50 with water. If you are buying gear get acclimated to it at home so you know how to put it on, plus you will look so cool in your gear your gf is gonna wanna give you a bj (another great way to relax). BABY STEPS on the track, you're not Ian Hutchinson and you don't have to prove your lap times to anyone! Getting your knee on the ground should be the last effing thing on your mind so get it outta your head RIGHT NOW! The most important thing for you is the race line, braking markers, entry, apex, and exit cones! Have fun, if you get tired pit in and chill out to the next sesh no one is gonna call you a pussy.
    Last edited by wickedchop; 04-01-2019 at 06:32 PM.

All 100% true ^^^.

"No one wins on track day, but you sure can lose on one"

Couple more things.......be fluid in ALL your movements. Don't chop at the throttle, don't grab the brakes. Roll the throttle on and off as needed, pull or squeeze the brakes progressively as needed and pay attention at the riders meeting to the flags. Corner workers and their flags are your only means of communication. Arms go up and legs come out means stay on pace but a tad slower, but don't stop but be prepared that there is an incident or the session is over.
    Last edited by wickedchop; 04-01-2019 at 11:33 PM.

I'm going to go through OPRT in the PNW. They run at a track called the Ridge.

Wickedchop, I PM'd you...

I'm shopping for gear now. Looking at 2 piece suits.
    I may go watch a track day like said first. Bikes nor me wont be ready for the first event this year. Aiming for 2 months out.

Never thought about taping the wheel weights. Don't know what you don't know. The initial cost up front is some coin. But I figure a suit is cheaper then a skin graft..

Thanks for the info so far. going to get a suit before signing up. Didn't see anything about suit rentals. Not sure I want to jump into someone else's sweaty body bag.

Recommendations on suits? Things to look for? Ventilation is a big thing for me. Hence the 2 piece. Strip down between runs. Need boots and non worn out gloves.

Got to talk to wickedchop. Nice Guy weird accent. I'm stoked!! Thanks!!

At least my helmet is new. Ordered gloves and boots. First track day here is Apr 26. Portland International Raceway. Going as an observer. Anyone else in the PNW?

OPRT is one of the bodies that do track days. The 3 tracks that they seem to use are: The Ridge in Kent, Wa., PIR (Portland), and Pacific Raceways, also in Wa somewhere.

"Nice Guy weird accent" that's because he's from a place called CherryPhilly, now if you were from a place with a name like that, don't you think you'd talk funny too ?

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast