Thread: Another hard start issue - fuel priming problem?

Threaded View

Another hard start issue - SOLVED! It's the IAC Idle Air Control

I've got an '09 XB9SX, 20k miles, stock exhaust, stock ECM. Just got a Buelltooth and trying to figure out if I have a stock map. TPS reset done. Ever since I got the bike last year / 1000 miles ago, I've had the same problem. I ride in SF, CA where the weather is usually always 50-70F.

Problem is that every time I start it cold, it takes 5-6 hits of the starter button before the engine catches. I can hear the fuel pump whine quietly for about 2 seconds, and the starter seems to whir up fine each time. I've tried the "Buell blip" with limited success. When it finally catches, I have to keep the revs high or else it is likely to die. But once the bike warms up, it rides really nicely without any lag on acceleration nor any burps. If I shut it down with the engine warm, it starts right up with a single hit, like any normal happy bike.

Battery is a Deka EXT per recommendations here. 12.8V at start, drops to about 10.5V cranking. Even with a jumpstart pack separately, I get the same issues. Spark plugs looked good when I changed them out.

I thought fuel pump could be suspect, but wouldn't that cause problems while riding? And the bike starts fine when warm.

Any chance this could be a problem with initial fuel priming? I see the injector test on Buelltooth, but not sure what to look for. Would I be able to see fuel squirt out the injectors?

Thanks all!
    Last edited by Endopotential; 06-15-2019 at 05:19 AM.